Ran a Viper GTS

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Last night leaving a cruise in Arnold driving the SPF Cobra (wgt and power in sig) I was headed north on I-55 at 70 mph and a grey Viper GTS passed me hard.

I was not just going to let it go so I catch him and roll up along side. He did not look like he wanted any but we both were headed in the same direction and took I-270 west.

After getting on 270 I once again rolled up to him and saw almost no traffic ahead of us. He was on my right and for him to have a completely open lane I moved one more lane left. He saw that and moved one more lane left, it's on!

I was I 4th at about 75 (about 3,000 rpm, my wheel house), and after three straight up honks we run, a fair start.

I just walked away from him, crazy. I thought those were faster than that.

We ran up to 120 and I had two or three cars on him. We ran again, same thing. The guy pulls up to me and looked shocked at first, then smiles and gives me a thumbs up. I started to drive off but he wanted to run again, so I gave him a half car start before I jumped on it. Reeled him in.

I do not know what year Viper it was, but it was a GTS. The guy had a girl in the car, I did not have anyone in my car.

Loved beating a Viper!:rockon:

E

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your weight to power ratio is significantly better than the Viper's.

Good kill.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great kill! This has to be one of the best ever on this board.

sarcasmMeter-1266531711.jpeg

usmc320

Established Member
If it was a 2nd gen Viper GTS it is only like a mid 12 second car. You have more power and less weight. It should have been an easy kill. Good kill.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
CobraandShelby2cropped051313_zps50bc8d63.gif

LOL, suggested sarcasm excepted sir!

I just thought it would be a better race.

E

ttadriver

Established Member
unclear why the OP is surprised beating a 450hp/3400lbs car. your cobra kit should walk away from the 14 shelby if it has traction

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
No track times, we have been scrambling at work and Gateway has been closed, but now open again.

Why was I surprised that I beat the Viper?, well I think I have a fast car, but I guess I did not do a good job measuring up the Viper before we ran. I was more like "crap, that's a Viper GTS". More surprised how easy I walked him. And yes, the Cobra is faster than the 2014, and it hooks better.

E

Last edited:

mysticalsnake

Established Member
You and a fully bolted and tuned GTS would be better, but it would take some nitrous at the minimum for one to out run you, or make it even. They're nearly 1,000 lbs heavier. Depending on your gearing they will fair better than I would think against your car, but even a bolt on car should be a walk in the park for you

crazycarlo

Established Member
Great Kill and c'mon man whats the specs of the car? 427, 347 or maybe a 408 lol. I would love to have one in redfire metallic, a 408 and some CCW classics.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Sounds rather familiar. This happened to me at night heading to work in Atlanta from Columbus GA a few years ago. I was driving my 92 Fox. Mind you my car is very stock.

Driving up I-185 out of Columbus another black car passes me with wide meats and tail lights I didnt recognize. I speeded up to approx 90 mph just to get an ID on the type of car. A Viper Vert.

Once I got beside him he goosed it to get ahead. Cant have that, LOL. We kept at that for a bit until I realized I was at approx 130 mph going through the heavy treed area just before I-185 merges into I-85. Thats when I became nervous, not because of maybe passing a cop, but because of deer at night. I have seen their carcusses beside the road there. I backed out as he goosed it yet again.

On down the freeway I go until I catch him again, LOL. Its on one more time. He kept doing arm motions for me to stay at it. Through that area 100 mph was about my limit because I didnt want to encounter any cops through there, plus traffic was picking up.

We played all the way until I got off to go to work at ATL Hartsfield airport where I worked back then. I will say that was the quickest I ever made the trip to work that night. Its exactly 100 miles from my house to where I parked at the airport and seems like it took me 1 hr and 10 min to drive it that night. Not a bad average speed.

The Snake

Users who are viewing this thread