Radio Upgrade Time

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Dam bro ur adding a LOT of weight to that car. Howbout a set of slim subs....

@Deceptive "My fellings got hurt"......

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
The sub boxes lift right out pretty easy so even with the amps there should be pretty easy.

Weight is not an issue. I've added probably 50 lbs between the sound deadening, and amps....perfectly fine.

The subs and boxes on the other hand are 100 lbs added weight for the Pair, so being able to remove easily is important. Again, not racing so I don't really care about added weight On a Cruiser / show car.

I'm thinking I may possibly hide the amps behind the sub boxes

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Update: All speakers are in, Joying Android Head unit is in, amps / dsp is wired up. All that is left is to clean up the wiring a bit, install a RS232 to Bluetooth adapter to make the MS3 Pro talk to the head unit, install the subs (they are on the way), and run the dsp software to tune the system. Should sound awesome. It's possible my 200 amp alternator may not be enough. Reccomondations for a high output alternator?
2353da6dca5fd83305e5f59ac4dfcadc.jpg

28cc65e88308d960bc300db535f6afee.jpg

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Playing around with the software. This is really fun. For the sound correction you can use a iPhone via Bluetooth or a seperate microphone and laptop. I'll probably try both ways. This should really help as the mustang interior is no Bueno for sound quality.

Having the android head unit is really cool too. There are a lot of connections that had to be made. 2 USB cables, am/fm antenna, GPS antenna, microphone, 2 sets of RCA's, digital coax, 4g antenna, and main harness.

I ended up fishing a usb input and the processor control panel into the center console so I can throw a USB stick or phone in the center console and hide it. Vary happy with the sound of just the components so far.
1da5d8b4236b0dbc005891412fcd4712.jpg

Nbrac27

Established Member
As I am about to be tackling this project soon in my 04, this was awesome to read!

How much of a pain is running all the speaker wire? I'm not incredibly audio inclined, I've installed new speakers / HUs / amps before, but never replaced a whole system and rewired my speakers to run off an aftermarket amp.

Any suggestions / tips tricks etc you could give for the process?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
It's not bad at all. I ran power wire down 1 side and RCA / signal wire down the other side. The trim panels come off pretty easy and there's plenty of room for the wiring.

Subwoofers arrive today so I'll get some pics later. After I pop those in I'll start the long but fun tuning process.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Pic Real Dash in operation. Works fantastic. They have tons of custom dashes and you can design your own. I like the minimal view.
92ca448f990a13baef62aedde18a6675.jpg

So how do these run compared to some of the newer brand name stuff? I haven’t bought a higher end pioneer touchscreen in years and it is still better than my wifes 17 escape.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
So how do these run compared to some of the newer brand name stuff? I haven’t bought a higher end pioneer touchscreen in years and it is still better than my wifes 17 escape.

So far so good. Sound quality using the digital output sounds great, screen is bright and sharp. Software is smooth and quick. I'll have more time to play with it today and tomorrow.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Subs came in. Stereo integrity SQL-12's. They are works of art! I'll be running them in .89 cuft sealed enclosures. Holes were a hair smaller then what I needed so I had to shave them slightly. Tomorrow I'll set the amp gains and run the tunning software. During initial testing the license plate rattles so I'll have to put something behind it but sounds like the sound deadening is working. Also the subs are easy to remove to take the weight out of the car.

I feel that eventually I will replace the amps with more SQ oriented brands. For example Stereo Integritys amps are absolutely stunning.
be45daf6b38637b089f769a6a34b2c67.jpg

85e96152c3c79884c77a3dfa07528b5d.jpg

b809f4eace41b9619021ebaa1f742d7e.jpg

d6030cc998a44ae9c6706f0f3ca02621.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Instead of pulling them out just play a DJ Magic Mike CD when you're going to race. It'll be like how the dragsters use exhaust pressure as downforce. You'll just be using bass instead. :)

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Instead of pulling them out just play a DJ Magic Mike CD when you're going to race. It'll be like how the dragsters use exhaust pressure as downforce. You'll just be using bass instead. :)
That's some old school! Maybe some Bass Mechanic & MC ADE :)

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Old school for sure lol. So when I start to really crank it up the amp goes into protect and the car studders. I'll need to bust out the ol volt meter to see how bad voltage drop is. Next up will be a new and much better battery under the hood, and bigger alternator....kmj alternator 200 amp probay just not enough.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Old school for sure lol. So when I start to really crank it up the amp goes into protect and the car studders. I'll need to bust out the ol volt meter to see how bad voltage drop is. Next up will be a new and much better battery under the hood, and bigger alternator....kmj alternator 200 amp probay just not enough.
Just need some of this, works great for me ;)
lithium.jpg

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Yeah you don't that unless you run stuff like this...and you want to talk about weight....lolView attachment 1834651View attachment 1834652

Brings back memories. One I had 4 12's walled off in a Geo metro. Since it only has the 3cyl engine I couldn't get it to go over 75mph bacause of the weight lol. 4 12's run off a Hifonics series VIII Zeus, then a Audio Art 100hc. Man wish I had never sold those amps.

Users who are viewing this thread