Radio Coolers: Need input!

dfw99cobra

Established Member
I'm going to the river this weekend and I'm going to attempt to build my own radio inside a cooler so that I can shut the top when it goes through rapids and such. What do I need to do to put this together? Anyone out there have any experience with this?

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
dfw99cobra said:
I'm going to the river this weekend and I'm going to attempt to build my own radio inside a cooler so that I can shut the top when it goes through rapids and such. What do I need to do to put this together? Anyone out there have any experience with this?

What river you goin to float? Frio? Guadalupe? Gruene?

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Just cover the board and all connections with silicone. If everything's in a sealed box and you're gonna cut up a cooler, I'd suggest cutting holes to mount the speakers, then seal around them with silicone. You could also just try to find a waterproof radio...

dfw99cobra

Established Member
66speed said:
What river you goin to float? Frio? Guadalupe? Gruene?

Guadalupe :beer:

I intentionally chose the beer smiley. We're heading to austin on friday afternoon going out in austin on friday night then heading to san marcos saturday and drinking down on the river sat/sun then coming back that night.

T-Bolt said:
Just cover the board and all connections with silicone. If everything's in a sealed box and you're gonna cut up a cooler, I'd suggest cutting holes to mount the speakers, then seal around them with silicone. You could also just try to find a waterproof radio...

I looked around for a waterproof radio but didn't see anything that really floated my boat. I'm thinking this will work out all right if I can just get it setup the way I want it. This should work just fine if I silicone it enough.

txyaloo

Established Member

nastygt

Officially Crazy
Established Member
I bought a Radio in a cooler at Wal-Mart for $20 bucks. I don't know if they still have them cause I bought it a couple years back but for the price your gonna pay to build it you could just see if they still have them. Good luck in your quest and have fun on the river!!

dfw99cobra

Established Member
nastygt said:
I bought a Radio in a cooler at Wal-Mart for $20 bucks. I don't know if they still have them cause I bought it a couple years back but for the price your gonna pay to build it you could just see if they still have them. Good luck in your quest and have fun on the river!!

Thanks a lot man; I think all in all I'm just gonna put this crap boom box I have inside a cooler and hope for the best.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
canoe? kayak? raft?

in all seriousness, either get a weatherproof walkman with some external speakers wrapped in plastic, or take a walmart $20 boombox and wrap it in a trashbag. (thats what we did)

Unless you are going down The Rapids of Doom, I don't see a reason to spend time/money on something such as a "radio cooler"

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
dfw99cobra said:
Guadalupe :beer:

I intentionally chose the beer smiley. We're heading to austin on friday afternoon going out in austin on friday night then heading to san marcos saturday and drinking down on the river sat/sun then coming back that night.

Sounds like a blastie. I love floating the river with a bunch of buddies. We used to float ALL day long. Literally sun up to sun down. Anyways, I bet that water will be nice and cold.

Users who are viewing this thread