Radar Detector Opinions

Joester08

Established Member
Which set up do you think is the best " Bang for the Buck" ? Im not looking to spend alot of money, but i would like to get a decent set up. Thanks for all posts. If at all possible can you please post a pic of your system and a link for purchase.

Thanks

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Wait.....what? Is the OP really posting in the Donut Shop to ask police officers which radar detector is the best bang for the buck? What has the world come to?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Wait.....what? Is the OP really posting in the Donut Shop to ask police officers which radar detector is the best bang for the buck? What has the world come to?

At least he didn't tell a story about how all cops are abusive douchebag assholes who abuse their power because of a speeding ticket. :shrug:

I give credit where it is due and afforded him a simple answer to his question. :lol1: But I'm sure things will escalate into a debate about radar detectors and their usefulness. Which is what I was waiting for. :beer:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Here is my radar detector detector setup, OP.

photobucket-5388-1328642891532.jpg

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Well at least he asked the "experts", being married to a former LE, I was so disappointed when she told me she went to "radar school". I gave her a copy of my (now out of print) Fast Driver's Handbook and hoped very much that she would remain a police officer and not a "revenuer".
IMO the best single way to avoid tickets is to get a CB, and monitor Ch19 the truckers will put you right on smokey, every time, and the rest of the procedures are spelled out in the book, they have never let me down yet.
I would be completely happy if the state(s) would issue a special license , after going through hi performance driving school and let you run..say 20 over the limit. Feel free to jack up my license fee a reasonable amount to let me drive within those parameters.
Car wrecks are caused by low performance drivers not high performance cars.
Oh and give all the tickets you want to those drivers driving under the speed limit in the fast lane...which almost never happens.

This guy is my hero....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-goW15AwzM

Last edited:

wesessiah

Established Member
for a cheap one, don't waste your money.

i disagree... with the cheap ones, one can feel safe in their speeding knowing it will pick us up before we can ever spot you.

lol @ "what's the best bang for the buck way to keep you guys from catching me?"

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
i disagree... with the cheap ones, one can feel safe in their speeding knowing it will pick us up before we can ever spot you.

lol @ "what's the best bang for the buck way to keep you guys from catching me?"

Disagree all you want, paying attention to your surroundings would deliver similar results, and that's free. Not to mention a good idea while driving.

"feeling safe" in one's speeding will still yield the same results.. a ticket. :shrug:

When I activate my SMD it is for a specific vehicle that requires my estimate FIRST, by then I would have them at the same time their detector has gone off.

And would essentially be useless for Lidar.

So in my professional opinion, useless. It's ok for yours to differ though. :beer:

wesessiah

Established Member
Disagree all you want, paying attention to your surroundings would deliver similar results, and that's free. Not to mention a good idea while driving.

"feeling safe" in one's speeding will still yield the same results.. a ticket. :shrug:

When I activate my SMD it is for a specific vehicle that requires my estimate FIRST, by then I would have them at the same time their detector has gone off.

And would essentially be useless for Lidar.

So in my professional opinion, useless. It's ok for yours to differ though. :beer:

i wasn't really disagreeing with you, i was giving the threadstarter a hard time, sarcastically saying for him to get a cheap one because he'll never get caught speeding that way. i'm on the leo list here, just don't post often.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Incorrect. The best way to avoid tickets is to not commit violations. It's pretty easy.

no it's not (with regards to speeding on the interstate anyway)

This is the answer, all good, safe, fast drivers are extremely aware of their surroundings and traffic patterns. Too bad the general population isn't as serious about driving.

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I get a kick out of these folks every time I stop one with these fancy radar and CB radio setups. I wrote almost 900 tickets for speed last year, I bet a third we're using some type of detector. It amazes how many folks are willing to donate their money to the state!

Shepp1691

Established Member
I loved my Valentine 1 , but if we are using laser or toggling radar off and on, it is just going to tell you when to pull over.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I loved my Valentine 1 , but if we are using laser or toggling radar off and on, it is just going to tell you when to pull over.
If that's the case you're doing it wrong!!!! Stop "leading the pack" and the chances of being popped with instant on or laser is reduced drastically.

You want to pick up the LEO's use of laser or instant on when he's shooting the cars in front of you... however if you are the front runner then you deserve to get popped. A radar detector is a tool and like any tool has to be used properly to get the greatest benefit.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread