Race/ Track cars for sale?

JohnW#88

Established Member
I'm shopping! No hurry but looking.

I'm a firm believer that most of the good cars are never advertised. In the last 10 years I've sold 4 race cars and never needed RacingJunk.com or other sites; as I knew there were always guys asking to buy them. So, what's for sale out there?

I'm looking for a late model race/ track car. Quality build a must- no junk. Historical past with a log book a plus. Cobra R, Boss S/R, or retired Grand AM, World Challenge, IMSA... etc.

Anyone borded with their 00R caged track car? ;-)

Leads appricated.

SDW Racing

Established Member
A buddy of mine may have his vintage Mustang for sale.....full tube frame, Roush cup motor, Tex racing trans...best of everything....located at the Jersey Shore....pricey.

167151_122566251142026_6640354_n.jpg

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
I was talking to Don Burch recently. His ex-IMSA/Speedvision Cup/Motorola Cup/Grand Am Cup Cobra R is for sale.

I'll message you on here with his contact info.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
A buddy of mine may have his vintage Mustang for sale.....full tube frame, Roush cup motor, Tex racing trans...best of everything....located at the Jersey Shore....pricey.

I'll give him $10,000 cash for it (as a roller), even bring it in small, unmarked, non-sequential bills :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bill S.

Last edited:

cobra-boss

Established Member
I know of a 99-04 BIW 00R clone. Brand new 01 cobra motor, 6speed tranny (I think), Real 00R body panels, 14" GT500 brakes.....all top shelf stuff and build. Pm for more info

Jim

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
1995 Mustang Cobra R clone

100% professional race history since 1996, campaigned in IMSA Firehawk, Speedvision Cup, Motorola Cup and Grand Am Cup

This is one of three cars built and driven by Chuck Snipes of North Carolina

Beginning in 2004, the car began an extensive rebuild. The intent of this work was not a concours restoration, but rather a very thourough rebuild of a racecar for use in serious vintage racing. As such, aspects of the cars patina were left intact (such as the somewhat bent-up floor pans and race era body repairs that did not represent structural compromises).

All systems on the car were completely torn apart and rebuilt or replaced with the goal of producing a very reliable racer with quality parts and workmanship. Both the engine and transmission were left as delivered from Chuck, as neither had more than 10 hours since the last tear-down. The engine is in the trim fielded at VIR in 2003, and has three additional ECU’s with alternate tunes.

A full accounting of the parts involved in the rebuild can be found in appendix 2. No expenses were spared in the parts used or the level of detail in the repairs. For example, the front strut / damper setup is one of a handful of surviving MultiMatic prototype kits for the GAC Mustang program, and were returned to MultiMatic for a full restoration. Likewise, the GAC approved Alcon front brake kit was fully rebuilt with new hats and rotors.

Although Chuck ran several paint schemes on this car, it is the original Stars and Stripes that was chosen for the final livery. Since the original digital files for the graphics were lost in a computer failure many years ago, the graphics were painstakingly reconstructed from vintage race photos and video as well as detailed photos (and physical samples) of original graphics from one of its sister cars that is now in the hands of a restorer. Per HSR and SVRA guidelines for graphics, period correct sponsorship graphics are available, but not applied to the car. Only the car number, “Snipes Ford” and “Goldsboro Neon Sign” currently decorate the car. Series names and series specific fuel and contigency companies were not duplicated.

During the rebuild process, hundreds of photos were taken to document everything. These are available on a CD at request. In addition to the build photos, there is a reasonably large body of historical photos that can be included. Some of the historical photos are copyrighted, so further distribution of them would be unwise.

The car has had less than 4 hours of track time since completion of the rebuild. This time was spent with basic set-up and normal bug chasing after such invasive work. As of this writing, the car has only seen a single track in common with those that it raced professionally, namely Pikes Peak Raceway in Fountain CO. Lap times achievable with a modicum of set-up time are as good as Chucks’ qualifyting times at this track.

Spares for many parts are available (the take-offs and some body panels). All purchased parts inventoried have receipts and where applicable, instruction sheets.

Car is offered substantially below cost. $35,000 US

steeda_007

Established Member
Thanks guys

I really appreciate everyones involvement in both putting together the history of the Snipes cars as well as assisting with postings.

My Hemmings ad has about 26 pics to look at, but I also have many hundreds of additionals I'd be happy to forward to any serious potential buyer.

The car is killer, and I hate to see it go. Lots of changes in my life in the last 2 years...

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] for any additional info.

Cheers

Here are a few additional pics

fde7e835.jpg

3f0acfd4.jpg

2519a13f.jpg

549da96e.jpg

348ef235.jpg

fcb18f9c.jpg

dd0f7ede.jpg

192c30ee.jpg

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I know Chuck and Don. I saw the car before Don started rebuilding it and he has sent me a ton of photos. No part went untouched. This is a 100% authentic vintage racer with a great pedigree. It was first raced in 1996 when Chuck built the original 3-car Stars and Stripes team cars. It ran under two different Budget liveries as well and was last raced in 2001 or 2002.

The Stars and Stripes is the best livery.

Tom

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
That shock set up was top of the line in its day. The strut is a dummy used for support. The shocks were MultiMatic and were Remote Resavor and very adjustable ( at least this is the way my Zippo Car was done ) I never could figure out how they got that deal through tech but most of the front running Fords had this set up with the rear shocks to match. I removed all of this stuff from my #53 Zippo Car and replaced it with Penski Stuff so I have this set up if someone is interested in it. It was all just rebuilt/Re-Valved by Wes Burton Performance in Charlotte who is by far the best shock guy I have ever delt with....Gary

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
It was first raced in 1996 when Chuck built the original 3-car Stars and Stripes team cars.

Tom

Tom, I appologize for correcting but I'm 99.9% sure this car's first race was the 1997 Daytona event. My Snipes chassis and Don's chassis were both built during the offseason before the opening event at Daytona. Vern's Snipes chassis started racing in 1996 replacing your chassis that was wrecked at the 1996 Atlanta race.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member

Then God created this!^^^ Dear baby jezus that thing is sick! How much? 100k?:beer:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Tom, I appologize for correcting but I'm 99.9% sure this car's first race was the 1997 Daytona event. My Snipes chassis and Don's chassis were both built during the offseason before the opening event at Daytona. Vern's Snipes chassis started racing in 1996 replacing your chassis that was wrecked at the 1996 Atlanta race.

Sounds good to me.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread