R.I.P - Tom Clancy

01shakr

Established Member
That is a great loss I me him thirty years ago when I was in the service and sailing on a Submarine , very interesting man .

Planter

Banned
I loved all of the Jack Ryan series of books...reading Dead or Alive right now, then I will be reading Threat Vector and Locked on Target.

I loved the movie Hunt for Red October, but I gave up on the other movies, because some idiot couldnt keep Jack Ryan as the same actor (except for Clear and Present Danger and for Patriot Games) and totally ruined it. Although, I did love Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan...he played the part perfectly.

I hope someone will find an actor that looks like Alec Baldwin when he was in HFRO and then re-do the entire series of movies though, cause I would love to see Debt of Honor and Executive Orders, Without Remorse and Rainbow Six, Bear and the Dragon, Red Rabbit, Cardinal of the Kremlin and the others come to the big screen. It would be a sweet thing if Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale teamed up to do this series. :-D

And I hope to god they don't use that worthless bum Ben Affleck. :nonono: he ruined Sum of All Fears...and so did the Director by changing the villains and the ending due to 9/11. :xpl:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I've got an entire shelf in my library devoted to Tom Clancy. May he rest in peace.

Clancy ended up being so disgusted with Hollywood he refused to do any more movies.

There's a story among writers that is said to be about Tom Clancy. It goes:

There is a writer who wrote dozens of huge best sellers. he attributed his success to the lucky lamp he had on his desk. Everything he wrote before he got the lamp was never picked up by a publisher. The first thing he wrote after he got the lamp became a huge hit. He noticed that the lightbulb never burned out. The lamp became his lucky charm.

Then he gets divorced, and it's an ugly divorce. His ex-wife tells him that the lamp wasn't lucky at all, she had been changing the light bulb every week for years because she knew he regarded it as being his source of good luck.

Can you see how viciously she stuck that knife in his back? Whether it was true or not, the source of his inspiration has been cast in doubt.

All of a sudden, he can't write. He tries, but the books are lame, stilted, card-board characters, plots that go nowhere, and they absolutely fail to sell. It takes him a few years, but eventually he gets over it and starts writing again.

This was always alluded to as being Tom Clancy. The lesson for new writers was: never place your confidence in your writing in a physical object. Stuff gets broken and then you're screwed.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I loved the movie Hunt for Red October, but I gave up on the other movies, because some idiot couldnt keep Jack Ryan as the same actor (except for Clear and Present Danger and for Patriot Games) and totally ruined it. Although, I did love Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan...he played the part perfectly.

Red October was a fabulous movie with an impressive cast. Being that it was time period I doubt a remake could be pulled off with such success. Everything was going for it at the time. The movie just "felt" right. Now it would consist of a bunch of pretty faces fighting some imaginary Middle Eastern country directed by a complete douche bag.

Coiled03

Established Member
:(

Sorry to hear about this. I read all of his books. I even read his non-fiction stuff, which is rare for me.

Planter

Banned
Red October was a fabulous movie with an impressive cast. Being that it was time period I doubt a remake could be pulled off with such success. Everything was going for it at the time. The movie just "felt" right. Now it would consist of a bunch of pretty faces fighting some imaginary Middle Eastern country directed by a complete douche bag.

I wasn't saying remake HFRO...you can't remake that movie and have it done any better than it was...well, unless maybe you're Christopher Nolan. but the rest of the movies, you can find an actor who looks similar to Alec Baldwin did at the time, and remake them and follow the books more closely.

oldmodman

Established Member
There is one last book in the pipeline. Scheduled for release late this year or early next year.

I hope it's in the Jack Ryan universe.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
i just downloaded splinter cell (i havent played any in the series but it was free) on Xbox gold and he goes and dies.

Rude imo.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I loved all of the Jack Ryan series of books...reading Dead or Alive right now, then I will be reading Threat Vector and Locked on Target.

I hope someone will find an actor that looks like Alec Baldwin when he was in HFRO and then re-do the entire series of movies though, cause I would love to see Debt of Honor and Executive Orders, Without Remorse and Rainbow Six, Bear and the Dragon, Red Rabbit, Cardinal of the Kremlin and the others come to the big screen. It would be a sweet thing if Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale teamed up to do this series. :-D

And I hope to god they don't use that worthless bum Ben Affleck. :nonono: he ruined Sum of All Fears...and so did the Director by changing the villains and the ending due to 9/11. :xpl:

nope.

the movie finished shooting in July 2001, 2 months BEFORE 9/11

Users who are viewing this thread