Quick Question???

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Making me work, and I don't like it.

Next comment gets points and then the thread gets closed.

People need to learn to relax, chill and take a joke.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Can you explain what these "racks" and "bellows" are and where they are located. Also where are these plastic spacers? And how do these spacers limit how the rack moves?

I really don't know about anything you've mentioned here haha...I have to admit, I have tons to learn about cars still....thats why im here:thumbsup:

The rack meaning the part of the rack & pinion that slides left & right to make the tie rod ends move which steers the car. If you jack up the front of your car or put it on ramps, you'll see the bellows on each side of the rack & pinion that keeps crap out of the mechanism. The plastic spacers are on each side of the rack between the inner tie rod end "joint" and the end of the body of the rack & pinion, under the bellows. If you carefully remove the clamp on the bellows (you'll need to reuse them) and slide the bellows toward the wheel, you should see a white plastic spacer. If you add width to the spacer, it will limit the right and left travel your rack can do. I would recommend getting some more actual spacers and then machining them down to the additional width you need so there isn't an incompatibility w/the small amount of power steering fluid that they may be exposed to. I would hate to think what may happen if you used a material that could break and get caught in the teeth of the rack and totally limit turning!! Should I add something like "do this at your own risk"? Maybe someone makes some aftermarket spacers already and you just have to switch them out -- I've never done a search for them.

torquemonster

Established Member
The rack meaning the part of the rack & pinion that slides left & right to make the tie rod ends move which steers the car. If you jack up the front of your car or put it on ramps, you'll see the bellows on each side of the rack & pinion that keeps crap out of the mechanism. The plastic spacers are on each side of the rack between the inner tie rod end "joint" and the end of the body of the rack & pinion, under the bellows. If you carefully remove the clamp on the bellows (you'll need to reuse them) and slide the bellows toward the wheel, you should see a white plastic spacer. If you add width to the spacer, it will limit the right and left travel your rack can do. I would recommend getting some more actual spacers and then machining them down to the additional width you need so there isn't an incompatibility w/the small amount of power steering fluid that they may be exposed to. I would hate to think what may happen if you used a material that could break and get caught in the teeth of the rack and totally limit turning!! Should I add something like "do this at your own risk"? Maybe someone makes some aftermarket spacers already and you just have to switch them out -- I've never done a search for them.

Thanks for the helpful info! I really appreciate it!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread