Quick question for you Shelby guys

nickf2005

Established Member
its a shelby cobra....done

A Shelby Cobra is a 2 seater from the 60's.

This is a dead horse, but I drive a Shelby GT500. I do not was my time correcting somebody when they ask about my Cobra though.

NuclearPower

Established Member
I think what folks might be confusing is that these Shelbys are NOT CSM vehicles. The only way to get a CSM vehicle is to buy it from Shelby Motors out of Vegas.

But like everybody else on here...like the Corvette reference (especially since I owned one for 8 years)...the cars are sold, labeled, as Shelby GT500.

Ironhand

Banned
It's an SVT Cobra with Shelbys name on it. Period.

SVT had the sole power to make changes and did even though Shelby may not have liked it which did happen several times on the GT-500s.

So as I said they are SVT Cobras with the word Shelby on them and money paid to Shelby.

perry2k12

Established Member
This helps a lot, thanks a lot guys. I told my class that I eat, sleep, and breath mustangs but they were completely convinced that I didn't know what I was talking about. You guys pretty much settled the verdict for me! I appreciate it!

perry2k12

Established Member
It's an SVT Cobra with Shelbys name on it. Period.

SVT had the sole power to make changes and did even though Shelby may not have liked it which did happen several times on the GT-500s.

So as I said they are SVT Cobras with the word Shelby on them and money paid to Shelby.

I agree entirely. Hopefully sometime in the nearish future they pitch the Shelby crap and make the SVT Cobra again and possibly come down in price a tad. I doubt the price would drop much, if any though. Why would they drop the price when they know people will still buy them after all?

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
The GT500's have cobra emblems throughout the car. The car is a cobra and the Shelby name is just marketing.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I don't really care what people call it, what I do know is with a few bolt ons it's wiping out just about anything on the street with the exeption of the Z. :rockon:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Its a Mustang GT with a bigger motor and a few bolt ons, peolple cling to some fantasy that they own a Shelby creation of some sort.

So a 03/04 Cobra is just a Mustang.

A 2009+ Cobra Jet is just a Mustang

A 2000 Cobra R is just a Mustang

A Focus ST is just a Focus.

A 1970 Boss 429 is just a Mustang...

Get where I'm going?

nickf2005

Established Member

Get where I'm going?

I think your sarcasm meter may be broken. Think he was poking at the quoted post.

Kewlv8

Established Member
I had a quick question for you Shelby guys. I am in class to become an auto technician and my entire class says that the Shelby mustang from 2007-2013 is considered a Cobra since they have the Cobra emblem... So I guess my question is... Do you guys own COBRA mustangs or SHELBY mustangs? Is there a difference of are they the same thing?

Easy self test. If you have a big d1ck, you are driving a Shelby.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
A quick look on ford.com finds many media papers with the name Cobra. Were they mistaken? The most interesting is the quotes from Phil Martens, Ford Group Vice President, Product Creation and Hau Thai-Tang, Director, Advanced Product Creation and SVT who both called it a "Shelby Cobra GT500". It only took a few minutes to find these and there were more.

[URL="http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=20600"]http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=20600
[/URL]

FORD SHELBY COBRA GT500: BUSINESS | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

FORD SHELBY COBRA GT500: LIFESTYLE

FORD SHELBY COBRA GT500: ENTHUSIAST

FORD SHELBY COBRA GT500: TECHNOLOGY | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

Blackmax

Established Member

Get where I'm going?

There were 859 Boss 429 Mustangs made total, Ford has been pumping out over 4000 GT500's per year since 07.

nickf2005

Established Member
There were 859 Boss 429 Mustangs made total, Ford has been pumping out over 4000 GT500's per year since 07.

With the advances in modern manufacturing technology, you'll never see that low of production in any type of "special" American muscle car in the Shelby's price range. The demand is there for the price. If they can roll off a 662HP monster off the line right after a V6, then all the power to them. We're in the age of 70K Mustangs, and 40K Hondas. Welcome.

In 2010, there were 1500 ZR1's produced. In 2011 there were only 800. We're talking about $100K+ cars though.

I honestly don't care about the rarity of my car. If there's 3,999 other people out there with the same car, then great. I hope they are just as happy driving it as I am.

Users who are viewing this thread