Quick Question(broken inter cooler bolt)

Bearden86

Established Member
You can drill it it out and tap it, it's a pretty easy thing to do watch some videos on it if you never have done it before. Did you re use the stock bolts? They are torque to yield bolts and should not be reused. Go to a fastenal store and get some steel M5x16mm bolts and follow the speciefied torque. Best of luck.

I'm using high temp gasket sealer it's the same price and its more heat resistant, I'm sure grey would be fine though.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
i've bought a set from Ford nd another set from a bolt shop. The Ford one snapped. I've got enough to redo it, just gotta figure out how to get it out first.

Bearden86

Established Member
Quick Question

Cut it off flush use bolts to line up the intercooler with the blower. Mark it, drill it, tap it. I would urge you to ditch the ford torque to yield bolts and buy steel from fastenal there like 10 bucks. You won't have to worry about them breaking.

Mystic03

Established Member
i've bought a set from Ford nd another set from a bolt shop. The Ford one snapped. I've got enough to redo it, just gotta figure out how to get it out first.

same thing happend to me on my kb install just hand tight with a 1/4 turn! as for the busted bolt i had to drill and retap it

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Cut it off flush use bolts to line up the intercooler with the blower. Mark it, drill it, tap it. I would urge you to ditch the ford torque to yield bolts and buy steel from fastenal there like 10 bucks. You won't have to worry about them breaking.
This! The intercooler bolts can break too easily, as many have found. Especially if you attempt to re-use them. The stress of removing the bolts makes it ill-advisable to attempt to re-use them. Going with the stronger steel bolts is a very smart idea.

mrose75

Established Member
I bought the other bolts but foolishly assumed the bolts from Ford, which were ridiculously price BTW, would be better. Thanks for the responses everyone, I was pretty pissed when I snapped the bolt, I'm sure we've all been there.

I've never tapped anything before, recommendations on kits or whatever they are? Are they sized the same as the bolt, for instance a 7mm tap or whatever the actual bolt/thread size/type may be?

Bearden86

Established Member
Quick Question

All a tap really is, is a bolt with really sharp threads. Call NAPA with the bolt size and they can get you the correct one. As for doing it just drill straight and use the correct drill bit. Screw the tap in a little at a time and unscrew, clean off the shavings and keep going till your through. Just take your time be meticulous and use common sense. It's very simple. Best of luck

mrose75

Established Member
So I just cut a groove in what was left of the bolt with the dremel and backed it out with a flat tip. Took 2 minutes....:bored:

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
The click type torque wrenches scare me when it comes to very low torque values like that. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it takes a little extra torque to get past the detent (the click) and you end up over tightening it. I like the beam/guage style for low torque stuff.

Just my opinion.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Take it to a machine shop and they'll extract if for you.. i just went through this last weekend. Mine snapped flush with the surface, he drilled it down and extracted the whole bolt in under 10 minutes.

mrose75

Established Member
Got it out...

71FE1BA3-A18C-4855-B8BA-E8B822E1EDDD-8681-000007E645076C3C_zpsb153d6f6.gif

But it's out now...

SatisTraction

Established Member
on that one here is a quick tip if you have a mig welder.

put a nut just a little larger then the broke bolt over the busted stud. weld right in the center. let it cool. take a wrench and pull it right out.

this really works like a champ on rusty bolts.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here's a tip I used when I removed my blower. In following this tip I didn't break any bolts. When removing each of the intercooler bolts I would loosen slowly with a ratchet wrench until I felt resistance. Then I would TIGHTEN 1/4 turn. Then I would loosen slowly again until I felt resistance. Then I'd TIGHTEN again 1/4 turn. This 2-step process until the bolts are removed. Then, of course, discard them and buy brand new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread