Quick antifreeze fill/mix question

Formula51

Established Member
I am flushing my radiator fluid by draining, refilling with distilled water, running with heat on, draining again, repeat.

However, when draining at the radiator it only takes about a gallon or so to fill the system up. I'm filling the overflow tank, then capping and filling at the crossover tube, then running and burping it.

So my question: only the final fill, how the hell am I going to get near a 50/50 mix when the system holds 4 gallons and I can only add about a gallon!?! With the water in there, should I just add a gallon of straight antifreeze and a bottle of water weter?

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I want to say that when I drained mine, I drained it at the thermostat housing and got quite a bit more than that out, but I am going off of memory so maybe someone else will chime in with a better answer.

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
I usually do it a bit different but you can buy a glycol tester to see where your at now and then go from there

Formula51

Established Member
Can I pressurize the system with my air compressor, say at the crossover tube and blow it out? I'm guessing the block and heater core are holding 2+ gallons.

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
glycol testers are really cheap and if your close on your measurements prior then youll be in the ball park

Formula51

Established Member
Pulling the hose running from the crossover tube to the thermostat housing was the trick! Got another gallon plus out there. Boy what a mess I made though! Thanks yall.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
op where are you draining at?

if you are only getting one gallon i would say you are not draining at enough locations. if you drain at the radiator only, you will get about a gallon.

but if you drain at the t-stat, you will get an additional 1.5 gallons.

then if you drain at the engine block (only one side is accessible) you will get an additional .5 gallons.

i service my cooling system in the exact way you are describing every two years, and when i get to about 99% pure distilled water, for the final fill i drain at all 3 locations and add 2 gallons antifreeze, and then the rest distilled water, for a 50/50 fill.

i have installed draincocks at the crossover tube near the t-stat and at the driver side block to help me with this process.

Users who are viewing this thread