Questions questions!

Svt98snake!

@COBRAMARCE
Established Member
Hello everyone:) i have a couple questions...so I own a 98 cobra but am going to get a head job because its throwing smoke on deceleration.but while am going to do that is there anything i should do to increase performance or just do no matter what....

okay and so I also will be lowering the car but I still want to have the advantage at the track but also keep it looking good and dropped...(im still learning some stuff haha)

also my car is dying when coming to a stop...could a oxygen sensor cause this?

I also have a 01 cobra transmission and did a tail shaft swap but my speed sensor is not working...why?
(and while im on my transmssion...my gears struggle to go in but eventually go in if I work it in.. or if i release the clutch, engage it again and then it will work...recently blew my previous tranny and i didn't think the clutch got damage. Any ideas on that? Maybe my pressure plate?)

Replaced oil pressure switch and it only reads right before I start the car but once car is on it goes all the way down...but my old one would read but it was causing me an oil leak so I had to replace it but same problem happened to the new oil switch..

My car makes a weird noise from the rear-end and sounds like a dog howling...i replaced the rotors but nothing changed....i wondered if it is my brakes but the mechanic said no?

sorry for all these post but i go places and people have no idea..im just trying to get some answers..:( its beginning to get a little stressful but i want my baby back lol :(...PLEASE HELP ME:shrug::(

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Replaced oil pressure switch and it only reads right before I start the car but once car is on it goes all the way down...but my old one would read but it was causing me an oil leak so I had to replace it but same problem happened to the new oil switch..
:):(

Our oil pressure switches are just that: a switch, not an analog sensor. Basically the gauge never indicates a variation in the pressure, just 6 psi or more (switch on, gauge indicates), or the gauge fails to indicate any pressure at all in which cast the pressure is less than 6 psi, the switch is bad, the circuitry is bad, or there really isn't any oil pressure!
To check the circuitry, pull the wire off of the oil pressure switch, then with the ignition on, ground that wire to the engine block. The gauge should go to the middle 50% of its sweep. If not the gauge is goofy or the ground circuitry of the gauge is faulty.
Check for proper grounding from engine block to the body. There is a flexible braid ground connected between the engine block, near the oil filter, and the unibody near the right front wheel. Check that the braid has not corroded away to nothing, and that the connection to the engine block and unibody are clean and secure.
Also check ground connections at the bottom of the dashboard to the right of the radio/tape/CD player. Look for a green hex-headed screw screwed into the steel framework of the dashboard. Clean the eye terminals and the steel frame, then re-assemble the connection securely.
Good luck with this and your other issues!

Last edited:

samshady

Established Member
Howling from the rear end bad bearings possibly or rear gears improperly set-up?

Transmission hard going into gear unless you double clutch sounds like engagement issue. Try adjusting using the factory adjustment pawl or you may need an adjustable quadrant.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Our clutch cable adjustment is done by placing the toe of your left foot behind the clutch pedal and pulling toward you.

KCRN12

Established Member
The shifting problem is the synchronizers. They match the engine and transmission speed when the clutch pedal is depressed. When you release the pedal with the trans in neutral it causes the trans to start spinning at engine speed. That's why it goes right when you press the pedal again.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
also my car is dying when coming to a stop...could a oxygen sensor cause this?
If your PCM is not seeing a signal from the VSS, it thinks the car is stopped whn you let up on the throttle, and it drops the RPMs too fast. That lets the power brakes and power steering kill the engine.

If your speedometer isn't working, that's your issue.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Transmission hard going into gear unless you double clutch sounds like engagement issue. Try adjusting using the factory adjustment pawl or you may need an adjustable quadrant.

Hard going into gear can be that the clutch friction disc is not being fully released from the pressure plate due to the need for a clutch cable adjustment.
Adjust the cable as previously posted before doing anything else.
Or it could be that the friction disc is coming apart and can't get clear of the pressure plate.

Svt98snake!

@COBRAMARCE
Established Member
ahhhh thnx for the replies. Everything starting to make a little bit more since to me now...I was just close to just giving up....there a lot going on and I notice its all little things....but when I check those things hopefully this weekend ill let u know what the outcome is and if not then ill still let u know:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread