QUESTIONS From IRAQ

350slayer

Established Member
this is my first post and just have a few questions. iam in iraq right now but iam buying a 03-04 cobra when i come home soon. what is the best LT'S, off road x pipe, catback, intake, pulley and gear for the cobra? size also for the exhaust pieces? i want to buy a stag ported eaton also. thanks this site is awesome.

noviblown89

Established Member
I'm in Afghanistan right now and am also buying a 03/04 when I get home. I've been doing alot of research on modding these cars for the past 4 months and this is what I've come up with for my mods: Bassani mid-length headers (they're easier to install and there isn't that much of a hp loss compared to the LT's), MRT catted H-pipe, Borla Stinger catback, JLT CAI, 2.93 upper & 4# lower, BF idlers, 4.10's, mgw shifter, BF irs brace, MM irs bushings, sfc's, KB boost a pump, steggy blower & TB port, all the cooling mods, 60# injectors, XCal 2, and some 315 DR's. Theres probably more that I forgot about. I think the mods listed should put out about 500rwhp safely with a good tune. How long till you get out of there? Good luck!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Welcome to the forum!

I like Kooks LTs. Midpipes and catbacks are a personal choice. Some are louder than others so you have to know first how loud you want your exhaust system. Long tubes and catless midpipes make the exhaust loud to begin with. Magnaflow and Bassani make a great X-pipe. MRT makes a great H-pipe. H-pipes retain the muscle Mustang sound whereas X-pipes have more of an exotic sound. If you want REALLY loud, the SLP Loudmouth is the ultimate. Other choices include Borla, Magnaflow, Bassani, Steeda, and more. Same with intakes. Many prefer the JLT CAI/RAI. Others go with the Steeda RAI or the K&N FIPK. RAIs locate the filter in the engine bay and CAIs locate the filter usually in the fenderwell area. RAIs have no bends whereas the CAIs have a bend from the fenderwell into the engine bay. Performance is pretty close between each. Pulley choice (upper and/or lower) depends on how much boost you want. Since you're wanting to port the blower, I'll assume you want about 16 lbs. max boost. So a 2.93 upper with a 4 lb. lower is a good combo. There are other options depending on max boost. Consider a 3-piece or 4-piece idler set for extra belt wrap to minimize belt slip. And note that the stock idlers have known to fail. The stock gear is great but some opt for a 3.73.

When you have the time, take a look at my FAQ page. Some of the info might help you.
http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

Be safe! Thanks so much for protecting our country!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Good information Bob.

To you other two....take it from a Vietnam Vet...thank you for what you do. Stay safe and come back home to us.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And from another Vietnam vet, ditto! Stay safe and come back home to your loved ones and friends!

350slayer

Established Member
first and foremost i want to thank all of you guys for the support i cant thank you all enough! and thanks for the advice for the cobra. this is the best forum i have been on! i will post pics of the car when i get home. thanks again

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
Thanks for your service 350slayer, you guys rock! Get back here safe and get yourself a kick ass cobra and mod the hell out of it. Then go slay some 350's and post pics:rockon:

350slayer

Established Member
one more thing, is there any reliabilty issues with LT'S, offroad x, catback, ported eaton and about 16 pounds of boost? i want about 500 rwhp. thanks again!

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Whats going on, Slayer! Ive talked to you before. I was in Iraq in March of 2003 for the kick off of the war, so I know what its like there.

I agree with Cobrabob. But Im not a fan of the Kooks because they are so damn expensive, so I bought some BBK LTs. I have a BBK O/R X pipe and a Magnaflow catback. I love the way it sounds.

Also, if you have any extra cash laying around... you should pick up a KB 2.2 here for sale. With all the people buying up the 2.6 and 2.8 KBs, the 2.2s are going pretty cheap on here. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Second2last02

Established Member
Hey guys good luck out there. You are doing the exact same thing I did. The first thing I did when I got back from Iraq was spend all that saved money on an 03 Cobra and I have never been happier. I just found this site about a week ago and it has already been a huge help. I just recently got in touch with Jared at lethalperfomance.com and he has helped me alot with finding some new rims and wheels. He worked with me all day on a saturday till 10pm to make sure I ordered exactly what I wanted. I'm sure you guys wont have any problem doing all the research you need on this site to get whatever it is you want done to you new cars. Drive the hell out of them when you get back you definately deserve it. Again take care out there and return safe.

350slayer

Established Member
whats up jdaniel its good to hear from ya again! and thanks everyone you all have been a great help! i cant wait to be a part of the SVT family when i get my cobra. you guys and gals drive safe but kick gm ass haha!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I will tell you this ... you are right to wait till you get home. Not for any bad reasons but for more practical reasons .. I bought my 04 earlier this year and it sat in my garage for a whole 3 months before I got to drive it the first time.. and then only for two days ... I had a shop start the mods on it but they didn't get finished before I left to come back out here .now it will be another 6 months or so before I get to go home on vacation again and drive it again .... You at least won't have the mental anguish of knowing your ride is sitting in a garage waiting on you .... LOL

mrose75

Established Member
350slayer, you in or supporting 4ID. I am. Can't wait to get home, too. Bought my '03 after the first trip over here in 03-04. Gonna spend a little of this money on her after this tour. I might see you rippin' up the streets of Killeen when I get back.

Last edited by a moderator:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
350slayer said:
whats up jdaniel its good to hear from ya again! and thanks everyone you all have been a great help! i cant wait to be a part of the SVT family when i get my cobra. you guys and gals drive safe but kick gm ass haha!

I just noticed your from Kileen ... right up the road from me ... If your looking for a shop to do some of the work for you, I would suggest Motion Dynamics in Pfluggerville. They are the ones that did my car and do a top notch job. They specialize in Mustangs. great group of guys. Also for a more local mustang club check out austinareastangs.com. I hang out there a fair amount as well..

350slayer

Established Member
yeah iam with 4th id and getting ready to come home well you know how it is YGOSLO. we will have to get together and rip up the streets together haha... thanks for the shop info RDJ i just got to fort hood not to long before i deployed so iam still new to the area so a good shop is great to find close. when i get mine we all will have to terrorize the streets together!!

kingcobrasvt

Established Member
350slayer said:
this is my first post and just have a few questions. iam in iraq right now but iam buying a 03-04 cobra when i come home soon. what is the best LT'S, off road x pipe, catback, intake, pulley and gear for the cobra? size also for the exhaust pieces? i want to buy a stag ported eaton also. thanks this site is awesome.

Hey who are you with. I am also in Iraq and from Fort Hood. Will be leaving here soon. Cant wait. Take care and be safe.

RiffRaff04

Established Member
Just make sure you shop around and dont buy the first thing you see. BTW, thats all Im doing over here too, just saving up for parts and stuff I dont need haha.

350slayer

Established Member
does anyone know the best place to find a cobra in texas, ie. houston,austin,dallas? or anywhere in betweeen?

Users who are viewing this thread