questions about nitrous

scooterposse

FRRRRRRRRRUNKIS
Established Member
i am thinking about going with this nitrous kit and going with either the 100 or the 125
NOS 03-04 Cobra Specific Adjustable Wet Kit (75hp to 150hp) [02120NOS] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
plus pressure gauge and purge kit.
i have a 2.9 upper,jlt cai and magnaflow cat back
questions are
1. IS NITROUS SAFE???? i dont want to play three times and go boom:fm:
2. will i need any additional stuff to go with this like bigger injectors, bap or anything else?
3. will i need a retune? once again boom is bad:fm:
thanks for all the help guys

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
1. Yes, if used within reason. You won't have any problems running a 100-125 shot if tuned for it.
2. No, unless your fuel system is already stressed to the max then you might need a BAP or bigger pump.
3. Yes.
4. (Free bonus) I wouldn't go with that kit. The throttle body adapter has been known to have spray problems and if you move to a bigger/ported TB/plenum, that plate will be a bottleneck. Better to go with a "universal" wet kit that plumbs the nozzles into the intake, IMO.

scooterposse

FRRRRRRRRRUNKIS
Established Member
1. Yes, if used within reason. You won't have any problems running a 100-125 shot if tuned for it.
2. No, unless your fuel system is already stressed to the max then you might need a BAP or bigger pump.
3. Yes.
4. (Free bonus) I wouldn't go with that kit. The throttle body adapter has been known to have spray problems and if you move to a bigger/ported TB/plenum, that plate will be a bottleneck. Better to go with a "universal" wet kit that plumbs the nozzles into the intake, IMO.

lol thanks for the free bonus:beer:

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
I just got my new tune for my zex wet kit. Using a 125 shot and went from 424hp/448tq to 515hp/625tq! My tuner said my tune is conservative for safety.

75 degrees F SAE: 1.05

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
I run that kit and people say it sucks. Do your homework and run the kit you feel will accomplish what your goals are.
My bottle neck suits me fine.

NOS does do a crappy job with their pill sizes. Do not take their HP ratings for real. I have never had their pill size be correct when it comes to HP rating. They are conservative on the fuel and will almost always be way too rich with A/F.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I run that kit and people say it sucks. Do your homework and run the kit you feel will accomplish what your goals are.
My bottle neck suits me fine.

NOS does do a crappy job with their pill sizes. Do not take their HP ratings for real. I have never had their pill size be correct when it comes to HP rating. They are conservative on the fuel and will almost always be way too rich with A/F.

i have this kit and it works well

i am selling the plate as i just purchased a whipple. pm me an offer. you can get a kit less the plate. i will include the 2 brackets and the short nos line so that it would bolt up to the nozzle kit.

i like the plate kit its a better distribution of fuel and nitrous in my opinion.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
That is a great kit. I've used it with a 100 shot without a custom tune. with a wideband in the car and a mail order predator tune, my af was 11.2 11.4 on the 100 with NO detonation....but i'm very cautious when i race my car. Never hot lap, always let it cool down and always monitor af.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member

My Zex kit was way to rich with the pills too... I'm currently running a 100 shot fuel pill and 125 n20 pill or else it's way to rich!

MGC

Established Member
i am thinking about going with this nitrous kit and going with either the 100 or the 125
NOS 03-04 Cobra Specific Adjustable Wet Kit (75hp to 150hp) [02120NOS] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
plus pressure gauge and purge kit.
i have a 2.9 upper,jlt cai and magnaflow cat back
questions are
1. IS NITROUS SAFE???? i dont want to play three times and go boom:fm:
2. will i need any additional stuff to go with this like bigger injectors, bap or anything else?
3. will i need a retune? once again boom is bad:fm:
thanks for all the help guys

Dynotune has a nice kit, change out the solenoid with an NX one and you're good to go, window switch and dedicated tune for spray is a must IMO. Dry shot/post MAF. Are you ported, pullied? What fuel mods do you have currently? At the least you will need 60# injectors, BAP and MAF. You can hold off on fuel pumps now if you need. Nitrous is safe with the a good tune and the right mods (like I said window switch and dedicated tune is a must). Enjoy the big TQ #'s. :rockon:

Edit: when you spray with 100+ good gas is a must i.e. torco or race gas.

Last edited:

cah41

Established Member
Edit: when you spray with 100+ good gas is a must i.e. torco or race gas.

???? This is the first I've ever heard of this. Is this true? You have to run race gas to run nitrous? I was planning on making my next mod a wet kit with a 125 shot or so (don't want to spend the $$ on port as I want to go TS at some point), and I was gonna get it tuned--but for 93 octane. You're saying I can't do this? :(

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
???? This is the first I've ever heard of this. Is this true? You have to run race gas to run nitrous? I was planning on making my next mod a wet kit with a 125 shot or so (don't want to spend the $$ on port as I want to go TS at some point), and I was gonna get it tuned--but for 93 octane. You're saying I can't do this? :(

No, you don't need it to run nitrous but like any other poweradder past a certain level you start chancing the limits of 93 octane. a 50 shot will be comparable to a ported blower and you'd be fine on 93 octane if you have enough fuel mods for it. 100 shot or more, I would use torco. Easy peace of mind. :beer:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
No, you don't need it to run nitrous but like any other poweradder past a certain level you start chancing the limits of 93 octane. a 50 shot will be comparable to a ported blower and you'd be fine on 93 octane if you have enough fuel mods for it. 100 shot or more, I would use torco. Easy peace of mind. :beer:

This makes no sense.

A wet shot adds it's own fuel in to keep AFR's in check, and the shot will cool the charge - having a positive effect on preventing detonation.

OP - You can run 93 and run a 200 shot if you want to. As long as the motor can hold it and is tuned for it, you're good to go. The only thing you might want to do is step your plugs down a range or two colder, depending on your size shot. What plugs you need to run will depend on your car, and your tuner can help you with that.

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
This makes no sense.

A wet shot adds it's own fuel in to keep AFR's in check, and the shot will cool the charge - having a positive effect on preventing detonation.

OP - You can run 93 and run a 200 shot if you want to. As long as the motor can hold it and is tuned for it, you're good to go. The only thing you might want to do is step your plugs down a range or two colder, depending on your size shot. What plugs you need to run will depend on your car, and your tuner can help you with that.

If you look at my first post I was recommending a dry shot, post MAF.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
Why would you want to run nitrous (any size shot) without race fuel? when tuned for it, it only makes the combo safer, better, and faster? Running nitrous aint cheap when you consider the supporting mods, fuel, and tune, all of which are important to maximize your setup.

OP its your car and you should do your research. ask TUNERS that now what they're doing and have been doing it for awhile. ask you tuner and any other REPUTABLE TUNER!

IMO

cah41

Established Member
Why would you want to run nitrous (any size shot) without race fuel? when tuned for it, it only makes the combo safer, better, and faster? Running nitrous aint cheap when you consider the supporting mods, fuel, and tune, all of which are important to maximize your setup.

Not the OP, but this applies to me too. I was looking to get a port + methanol injection setup. But for that I'd have to do other upgrades (injectors, GT pumps or BAP if I wanted to be cheap, I assume MAF help). I didn't want to do the port just by itself (without the meth) because, for the price of all that work (the fuel upgrades, the install, the port itself, the tune, etc.) I would be looking at not that much of a gain most likely (I would probably just be running an upper, and no lower port and probably the cheapest TB/plenum combo out there). And I can save money on the tune by doing the methanol setup concurrently. But this all adds up.

Then, I realized I can just do NOS now for less money, more power, and I can still hang on to the NOS setup no matter what I do next (port, TS, whatever). But, obviously, I don't want to run race gas in my DD. I want the NOS for a little extra get up and go when I want it, but I'm not paying for race gas to do that.

If there is some flaw in my reasoning, please, someone point it out.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
like i said, ask the experts. The guys that are doing this for a living and have been for a long time.

port plus spray is a popular and effective combo. you would need the supporting mods just for the port itself. i'll put it like this. Posi provides a port that will get you close to 500hp (double check that) at 500hp, you NEED AT A MINIMUM 60 lb injectors, a maf (or mafia) and a bap. you might as well do GT pumps. i have this setup now on my turbo car now. no issues. at that point you can add anything an you'll be fine till about 800hp.(double check that number but its been done im sure)

a port and pullied setup with the right driver will crush a fair ammount of cars on the road. from there you can piece together a nitrous kit (the cheapest way to do it) i got a dry kit from dynotune but added nx solenoids.

sorry to say, but this aint a cheap hobby. and risking your motor to save some money by not by the correct supporting mods or race fuel doesnt make much sense TO ME.

just my 0.02

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
For a street car with an pulley/port/bolt ons running 93 octane, you'll be fine adding a 100-125 shot of the giggle gas to use whenever. Obviously race gas will make any combination "safer," but you will be fine with this combo on 93 as long as the tune is solid. No amount of octane in the tank will make up for a sloppy tune, that's what's important.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm running this kit on my car with the 100 shot. My car is 100% mechanically stock except for the CAI and cat back system. I had it tuned using the XCT 3. There are three tunes stored (street, NOS and NOS+Race fuel). I have a window switch installed and have not had any issues while running this kit on my Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread