questions about lowering...please help

GT915

Established Member
I am purchasing 19 x 9 and 19 x 10 wheels with 255 40 19 and 285 35 19 tires. Initially I thought I'd get a set of Ford Racing K springs, front strut mounts and an adjustable panhard bar. I thought I'd just run the stock struts and shocks since it has only 8k miles on them. I have since read that I probably need new dampers as well as new rear control arm brackets. Is this true? This is really nice car and I don't want it to ride like shit or make unnecessary noise. I also don't want it to be so low that it drags the undercarriage when going over a speed bump. Am I on the right track with K springs or should I consider something else? I'm open to other options such as eibach or steeda. I really would like to hear from those with lowered cars so I don't make an expensive mistake.
Thanks

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't go too low or you will wind up chasing other issues. FR "P" springs or Steeda Sport may be other good options to consider. Yes, you will need some sort of improved strut/shock combo to dampen the car properly. Buy the FR jounce bumper kit as well. You may need bolts or plates to get the camber back.

Jedisalami

Established Member
currently running H and R's lowest springs with stock struts up front, rides BETTER than stock.Strange 10 ways out back

BlackMamba3

Established Member
I'd go with FR "P" springs. Lowers only 1". As for dampers, I'd upgrade them too. Koni Yellows would be my choice as you can adjust dampening on them.

Check out BMR for LCA's/UCA with matching brackets and also a Panhard bar.

Most people will say camber bolts are enough but me personally prefer camber plates.

Fun4me

Established Member
I'd go with FR "P" springs. Lowers only 1". As for dampers, I'd upgrade them too. Koni Yellows would be my choice as you can adjust dampening on them.

Check out BMR for LCA's/UCA with matching brackets and also a Panhard bar.

Most people will say camber bolts are enough but me personally prefer camber plates.

That 1" drop is going to end up costing $1500-2000+install.:eek:

stang910

Established Member
I've got K springs with stock struts and shocks and the car rides fine. Has 30k and been lowered since the day I bought the car. The only thing I needed was camber bolts.

Fun4me

Established Member
I've got K springs with stock struts and shocks and the car rides fine. Has 30k and been lowered since the day I bought the car. The only thing I needed was camber bolts.

So, you didn't need relocation brackets, lca's, panhard?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
You will need a phb to center the axle. Relocation brackets are matter of opinion, hard to get a consensus. Personally I'd start with a good pair of LCA's first.

GT915

Established Member
A couple of you mentioned the P springs. I'd like to see a side view of a car with those springs or the Steeda sports. Has anyone used the Ford Racing Handling Pack which includes everything except for adj ph bar?

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
I got p springs on mine with stock dampers. Ride almost the same as before which is no compliment unless you want it to have stock driveability but surprisingly, now it has much less body roll. You will also notice more road noise but that's expected with any lowering springs. Check out my album they are with P spring.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

GT915

Established Member
I got p springs on mine with stock dampers. Ride almost the same as before which is no compliment unless you want it to have stock driveability but surprisingly, now it has much less body roll. You will also notice more road noise but that's expected with any lowering springs. Check out my album they are with P spring.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Okay, I'm new here and am about show my ignorance, but how do I check your album?

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Steeda Sports in my sig, if you want the best ride quality (like stock) go Steeda Ultra Lites. Only required mod after that is a panhard and good alignment. I went with LCA's and Koni's and sways as I'm a corner junkie. I have same wheel tire setup and sometimes scrape my off road H. Other than that fine. Your factory struts may experience a shorter life though.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
A couple of pictures with the Steeda Sport springs:
GTCSFrontSide1.jpg

NJMPSept2012.jpg

vs Stock ride height:
GTCSStockRideHeight.jpg

mikestoyz

Established Member
Scraping is an issue that depends on your streets. With the proper approach, driveways shouldn't be a problem. Even with my sportlines I don't scrape any speed bumps, and I've gone over several different types.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
What's the deal/advice on the FRPP jounce bumper kit? Is this just replacing the the stock bump stops with shorter ones?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Is this just replacing the the stock bump stops with shorter ones?

I don't believe they are much shorter, if any. They use a different durometer material to work in conjunction with the lowering springs. I specifically asked a Ford Racing engineer about this at the Carlisle Ford nationals and confirmed they are a unique part. Although I've also read it's just the GT500 bumpers.

Some people just cut them down but (unlike the old days) these are actually an active part of the suspension. They are essentially a foam spring designed to help dampen the suspension as it reaches the end of it's travel.

Users who are viewing this thread