Questions about dealer upsells

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
So I went to the local dealership to order a 2014 and I was fully prepared to wait a few months to get my dream. I had called and they said they had allocations but when I got there I was told the allocations had been used. My sadness turned to elation when I found they had one already on the way pretty much exactly as I had planned to order. Same colors, mostly same options with trading a glass roof for a nav system. Turns out my dream could be here in the next five days :banana:
What are the thoughts on all the dealership upsells? Ultimate protection, lojack, extended warranties and the like. Normally I say no to all that stuff but I've never purchased a car over $30k before and certainly never a Shelby even though I've had a couple older mustangs and camaros. The car will not be a daily driver, and I've put maybe 30k miles on my truck in the last 6 years. My work place was right around the corner and we used my wifes suv for trips.
Is there any reason to consider any of the dealer upsells? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but figure folks who have a lot more experience might be willing to give advice to a Shelby noob.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You can buy the Ford ESP extended warranty at anytime and it is available on-line for a lot less than your dealer would charge you.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I kinda figured 'don't do it' was going to be the general reply. Thanks for the replies fellas. It's amazing, I was set to wait months and now I'm all cold turkey over a couple of days.

I'm following the advice on other threads about not letting the dealer clean the car and I'm in the process of trying to get a detail guy lined up.
The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how to get the wife's SUV out of the garage so the Shelby can be garage kept. lol.. any advice on that one?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I kinda figured 'don't do it' was going to be the general reply. Thanks for the replies fellas. It's amazing, I was set to wait months and now I'm all cold turkey over a couple of days.

I'm following the advice on other threads about not letting the dealer clean the car and I'm in the process of trying to get a detail guy lined up.
The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how to get the wife's SUV out of the garage so the Shelby can be garage kept. lol.. any advice on that one?

Offer to clean the garage out. After cleaning the garage, park your car in there before she can.

:beer:

huggytree

Established Member
ive bought some cars where when you tell them your not interested they dont give up...ive had to sit there for 20 minutes not saying a word while the guy does his whole sales pitch.......even though i already said no

on the Shelby they only spent 1-2 mins on it since i was driving it across the country...other than the extended warranty they couldnt perform any of the other upsells to the car.....

i always say no to the upsells right away

what good is an extended warranty for a car you drive 2,500 miles a year?? i assume very few shelby's are daily drivers

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The only thing I think is worth it is the tire and wheel protection.

Everything else can be had somewhere else- alot cheaper

Action

Established Member
the maintenance plan is worth it in oil changes alone. I paid $345 for the maintenance plan and it includes 12 oil changes which are around $120 each if purchased outside of the plan.

smrtasp

Established Member
I got the LoJack thrown in on mine. That's the only real dealer add on on left with even though I didn't pay for it. It's like 200 bucks dealer cost so keep that in mind of you decide to buy it.

SVTKen

Established Member
I generally say no to all of that stuff. I always say no to the rediculous things like paint protectant, interior protectant, and undercarriage protection rust/corrosion preventer.

Sometimes, dealers will sell you the extended warranty at their cost, but most will try to make a big profit on it. Shop around in advance and let the dealer know about the prices you found for the warranty.

Last edited:

MNCobra

Established Member
wheel and tire i would the rest, if not a daily driver, IMO is not needed...just get in and enjoy your ride...good luck and post some pictures...what color and options did you get?

msw.63

Established Member
I generally say no to all of that stuff. I always say no to the rediculous things like paint protectant, interior protectant, and undercarriage protection rust/corrosion preventer.

Sometimes, dealers will sell you the extended warranty at their cost, but most will try to make a big profit on it. Shop around in advance and let the dealer know about the prices you found for the warranty.

I read it on another thread somewhere (here or TS), but the rates from Flood Ford Ford Extended Warranty - Geniune Ford ESP Sales seem to be very reasonable (highest level of extended warranty coverage at 7 yrs/60,000 mi for only $790 w/ $50 ded). I live in AZ and hope my dealer will at least match the price they offer, but they sell the plan (it is Ford's plan) nationwide.

I agree about generally not purchasing the "upsell" items, but some things like paint protectant are items that can be worth it to some individuals, but they are best found aftermarket. There are several threads regarding 3M or Xpel Ultimate paint protection that some swear by.

Enjoy your car!

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
I passed on the upsells also. Didn't see the need for what I'll be using the car for.

TaraFirma

Established Member
The extended warranty isn't really a warranty at all and I wish they would stop calling it that. it's insurance plain and simple. Which you can get through your insurance company. It's called mechanical break-down coverage from GEICO and it's really inexpensive. It will cover anything the factory warranty won't cover, and continue coverage after the 3-35 warranty expires.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The extended warranty isn't really a warranty at all and I wish they would stop calling it that. it's insurance plain and simple. Which you can get through your insurance company. It's called mechanical break-down coverage from GEICO and it's really inexpensive. It will cover anything the factory warranty won't cover, and continue coverage after the 3-35 warranty expires.

It's officially called an extended service plan.

ESP

phil123

Established Member
The Ford maintenance plan covers consumables including clutch and brake pads as well as oil changes. If you are using the car as a DD as I am It can be a good deal if you get internet pricing. I have heard the Geico plan is Ok but if you change insurance companies you no longer have the mechanical break-down coverage.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Most up sells create bigger profits for the dealer. They do pretty well on the gt500!

veraga2e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread