Questions about Apten, Pulleys, cost, safety, warranty: how much power can I expect?

Redwing

Established Member
I went to a "Tech day" put on by the "GTAMC" (The Grater Toronto Area Mustang Club). While there, an SVT sales Rep from the area's biggest SVT dealer gave a speech. The gist of the speech that was of interest to me e\was that the Toronto area dealers were taking the attitude that unless any problems were directly caused by modifications, INCLUDING chips and pulleys, the warranty would be honoured!!!
Anyway, this puts an entirely new light on my mod plans. In everyone's humble opinion, can I get to 500 horsepower with the following:
-An Apten
-a 2.8 pully
-a chip or Predator
-Borla Stinger cat backs
-A densecharger

Would I also need a throttle body, a heat exchanger and headers?
Realistically, what could I be looking at without the last 3 items?
Is a Preadator a viable alternative for a chip?
At these levels, is the engine likely to last to 100,000 miles? I will only be dragging occaisionally, and just for fun, not seriously.

Thanks guys
Steve

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
good questions.. engine should last if u take care of ur car.. and not beat on it all the time...

with those mods u will need a tb/inlet to make 500 + and also a aftermaket h/or xpipe...

and with the last 3 mods u should be right around 390- 400rwhp

Marc

beastud

Should've been a cowboy
Established Member
Lightbar

Does the lightbar restrict the motion of your seat at all? I am 6'5" and have a hard time fitting as it is, but I wanted the lightbar on my convertible. Just wanted your opinion on how it fits.

Redwing

Established Member
Beastud, my lightbar fits just fine. We had to modify the satbelt guides, but otherwise no problems at all. I also had a lightbar in my 99 Vert. Well worth it.
Steve

chrisle7220

Established Member
Yeah with intake, exhaust, chip, and pulley most people are making around 450rwhp. An apten adds about 30-40rwhp and with a throttle body, you should be able to get 500rwhp on a good tune. Im not sure about how much the headers would give ya, but it should give you a little over the 500rwhp mark. Those are my planned mods also.

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
tuckers JLT CAI is making some pretty good numbers from what ive seen, ill be switching to his as soon as my cars running

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by combatstang
good questions.. engine should last if u take care of ur car.. and not beat on it all the time...

with those mods u will need a tb/inlet to make 500 + and also a aftermaket h/or xpipe...

and with the last 3 mods u should be right around 390- 400rwhp

Marc
An aftermarket TB will not produce any noticeable power gains at this level. This topic has been discussed countless times. What it WILL do is improve throttle response. That's about it.

My mods included catback, catted X-pipe, Apten ported blower, Diablo chip, Accufab TB and 2.90 RR pulley and I made 503rwhp (SAE) in cooler April temps. Add headers and a heat exchanger (to reduce power robbing heat) and your peak should increase to the 515-520 level. A local friend with similar mods (but stock TB) is producing 490+ to the rear wheels but that is in 90 degree weather. I'm sure he'd see 500+ when cooler weather hits.

primo

Established Member
What dealer is this, maybe he can send his wisdome to dealer!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by Redwing
...the Toronto area dealers were taking the attitude that unless any problems were directly caused by modifications, INCLUDING chips and pulleys, the warranty would be honoured!!
That guy is misleading you at best. If you have a major failure, your dealer will have little to say about you getting a replacement engine. A Ford field service engineer will make that determination, NOT the service manager at the dealer.

Nothing wrong with a pulley and (good) tune, just don't do it thinking you're as good as gold with your factory warranty. You will be at risk of having your warranty voided by Ford if you need a major $$ repair and there's any evidence of a pulley swap.

-Greg

Users who are viewing this thread