Questions about 4V stuff

Wicked65

Established Member
im considering ditching my 95 and going to a 96-98 cobra. Living here in california, and CHP pretty much doing vehicle inspections for smog legal stuff when they pull you over, I think its easier to make a mod motor look legal and tune easier. So basically on the 95, the big problems im running into is a smog legal blower with inner cooler that will push enough air and a fuel and tuning setup that will visually pass smog. Inner cooler is a must since summer heat here is over 100*. SO, On a 96-98 cobra, it is better to use the stock intake with the imrc deletes or upgrade to bullet intake. Are the heads the same as on a 03/04? My plan would be a fully built stoker (5.0) 4v with ported heads and cams. Novi 2000 pushing 16-20lbs. also, What fuel setup can i use, a 03/04?? Sorry if im not making total sinse, im on oxycodone right now due to a ACL reconstruction surgery yesterday,... can you say pain. Thanks for your help and any setup info with power numbers.

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
Here are the things I picked up and can answer....I'm sure others will chime in as well.

A bullet intake will NOT work. It is for a 2V 99-04 GT motor. The stock intake works well and can be somewhat easily modified to make it better. If you are retaining the stock 96-98 heads I am not aware of any other intake you can use to be honest. The heads are different fro the 03/04's as well as the 99 -01 Cobra. IMRC deletes will be a good call. While they are off if you can have the heads cleaned up a bit it will do wonders fr them. As far as a fuel systemgoes the 03/04 is a returnless system so thats a no go there a well. Figure going with a 255 intank or an aeromotive pump, 42# injectors, an SCT meter and an adjustable regulator and you should be pretty well set.

Hope this helps!

Wicked65

Established Member
I guess i should also state that im looking to run 10.0's in the quarter. I have all my tubular suspension stuff already with solid bushings. And It will have a 4r70w with about a 3700 stall.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't think you'll get there on a stock 4v bottom. you'll need forged guts +++.

He mentioned going with a forged 5.0 stroker.

Ceme pretty much covered it. I would look into 60lb injectors over the 42's though. Are you planning on running race gas all the time? 20psi is too much boost for the 91 octane we have in CA. I know a couple high boost guys running Torco with success.

Wicked65

Established Member
Ill be doing 100 with torco. I have a buddy with a 2v that is running 20lbs via novi in his 03 GT. Basically, Would it be worth up grading the heads on a 96-98 or just get them ported and new springs and such? Will the stock intake be a problem? I have been running the search all day, is the 5.0 stroker just not worth it over keeping the strong block? As far as fuel, do i just put a in- tank 255 and then run bigger line to the fuel rails with a in line fuel pump? or is there a smog legal setup for these cars that will be able to support the massive fuel needs? like the glenns performance setup.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just get the stock heads ported with upgraded cams and springs. They'll flow enough for your goals. I don't know what you're referring to about the block. A lot of the companies will resuse your stock block for the build up. You might want to look into a big bore over a stroker though. The small bores really shroud the valves on these motors. Opening up the bore really helps the overall flow. I doubt the stock intake will be a problem. You can always have it ported. As for the fuel system, I've never heard of anyone failing smog over it. The 96-98's already have the return style system. Just do the 255 intank pump. If that's not enough you can always add an inline pump down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread