Questions...2001 motor into a 1999

Matt P

Established Member
I recently picked up a 01 Cobra motor to install into my 99 Cobra. It looks to be a straight forward swap, but I'd like to ask the experts a few questions.

The 01 motor is complete with the harness, will it plug up and run onto my 99 sub harness or do I need to swap the 99 harness and sensors over to the 01 motor?

I do have the ECU for the 01 car that the motor came out of, should I use that?

The 01 ECU I got has a Superchips module plugged into the side of it, will this work in my 99 ECU?

I plan on looking under the valve covers before I install the motor. Are the intake and valve cover gaskets reusable or are they one time use?

Anything else that may need attention when putting an 01 into a 99?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can offer, I cant wait to get my vert back on the road since the weather is getting so nice :D

Matt P

Established Member
Thanks. The 01 harness is already loomed on the motor and its in much better condition than my original 99 harness. Do I have to use the 99 harness or will the 01 work too?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Thanks. The 01 harness is already loomed on the motor and its in much better condition than my original 99 harness. Do I have to use the 99 harness or will the 01 work too?

If the 99 engine harness is exactly the same, then you can use it. No worries.

The interior dash harness is different between the 99 and 01, and if you use the 01 computer with the 99 interior harnesses, you will have major issues getting your defrost and AC to work. Your car might not fire up because of PATS and may need to have it reprogramed to remove it. I'd suggest to use the 99 computer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread