Question...

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
Current setup: BBK Long Tubes, Offroad-X, Flowmaster Super 40 catback with 3” tips

Problem - Not only is the car not loud enough but it also sounds like the airflow is restricted. I went to a mechanic and he said that long tubes and x-pipe work better with borlas as they have a straight through design.

Question - Am I better off going with a Borla Stinger catback with 4” tips or am I better off switching to a offroad H-Pipe instead as I read on here that H-Pipes generally work better with flowmasters? Not sure...any help would be great from you guys.

Goal - to have a exhaust that has a deeper,louder tone and not sound raspy. Definitely want to turn heads but not like Borla Atakswhich sound too raspy to me. Just a solidmuscle car sound is what I am going for.

Last edited:

Albatross

Established Member
Stingers with long tubes and an off road x will be LOUD. That combo can also be raspy higher in the rpm range. I don't think it's too raspy. I prefer that sound though, so I am biased. I have kooks long tubes and x pipe with stingers and love the sound. It is wake the dead loud over 4500 rpms though. From what I understand, an H pipe will remove the rasp for a deeper muscle car sound. I have never had an H so I can't say for sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in. You may want to consider the long tubes and off road x with a magnaflow catback. I don't think that will have a ton of rasp. Spend some time on YouTube listening to sound clips and you can get a good idea of setups that you like. Good luck buddy!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There was a thread a week or so ago where someone did say that headers with an H-pipe pretty much removed the rasp as compared to an X-pipe.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I say go with the off road H. I think you'll be happier with the sound and it is probably a cheaper route as well.

For me H pipe = old school muscle sound and X pipe = modern raspy sound.

X pipe is a more efficient design, but I just prefer the sound of an H pipe.

Just keep in mind exhaust sound is very subjective like color choice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
An H-pipe with a chambered muffler is going to steer you towards the deeper tone.

X or H-pipe with a straight through resonator/muffler will introduce some rasp depending on which one you choose. An off-road midpipe will add to it. Borla Atak and SLP Loudmouth are the two raspiest ones I can think of.

"Loud" and "sounds good" are very subjective when it comes to exhaust. Sounds clips on the computer don't do any exhaust setup justice.

FWIW, I run stock manifolds, catted Magnaflow x-pipe, and Borla S-type. I'm told it's loud, but I don't drive behind myself often so I can't really confirm or deny. lol It's enough to vibrate the rear view mirror at times. The vinyl hut on my snowblower clearly wiggles from sound pressure when I back into the garage. I will say that it might have a touch of rasp under load from about 2500-3k. I think it has a nice tone and "gurgle" at idle. Lately, however, I've also been considering switching to an h-pipe and Bassani cat-back for a clean, deep note.

hotcobra03

Established Member
In for results.

Have this set up.

During steady 70 it’s quiet in car

I have a catted x also.

But like to see if h pipe make difference

Users who are viewing this thread