Question on Tune with 2.93 Upper

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Ok I have what might seem like two overly simple questions for you guys, but since the search is down, I wanted to post a new thread.

My '03 (K&N, Magnaflow Tru-X and C/B) has been in storage since November :nonono: . This spring I want to get a 2.93 upper and tune it. My questions:

- Can I do a handheld tune from SCT or does it need to be custom? Do they provide canned tunes based on a mod list/pulley size? From what I know, the most important thing with adding a pulley is straightening out the a/f. For an extra $150, I can get a custom, but is it worth it?

- Do I need a 4lb lower with this setup or is just the upper fine?

Here's my BASELINE with stock everything...look at that a/f :eek: What kind of #'s can I expect with the pulley and tune on top of my current mods? Was thinking 440/450 rwhp and tq?

123.gif

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Buy the handheld from a tuner like Rick @ Amazon and they will load a custom tune for your mods on it. You only need a lower pulley if you want more boost than the upper can provide. I'd expect 440-460rwhp/rwtq.

Last edited:

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Thank you '96!! Will I need any aux or idler pulley's? Or just the 2.93 upper and a shorter belt?

I have heard nothing but good things about Rick and the Amazon crew...

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Ok so I can basically buy a package from Amazon that would include the pulley, handheld with Amazon custom tune and belt? Then just have my local tuner install all of it? Can't wait to unleash another ~50 hp...

sykal

Banned
u buy the handheld...$400 or so?
u pay rick @ amazon $175 i believe
he sends you files you load into the tuner based on your mods
you dyno/wideband it
you send it back to him
he revisions

on and on.

rick will be better than your local tuner, based on what ppl have said here.

pkwest

Established Member
I have a 2.93 upper only with a stage 4 port with ported TB and Plenum, Steeda rai, Pypes catted x, Magnaflow CB and Mafia. The fuel system is completely stock.
I would get a dyno tune.
03-cobra-dyno.jpg

Last edited:

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
u buy the handheld...$400 or so?
u pay rick @ amazon $175 i believe
he sends you files you load into the tuner based on your mods
you dyno/wideband it
you send it back to him
he revisions

on and on.

rick will be better than your local tuner, based on what ppl have said here.

Yeah I'm basically going to use my tuner only to pull the pulley and install the new one. The actual 'tune' itself I think I'm going to go with a custom from Amazon. I just want a nice complete package for a 2.93 upper on my '03 to get to around 450/450.

BTW, pkwest, where is your tune from, nice a/f...Also, what is your smoothing set to? That is an extremely fluid curve. Mine's at zero, which really shows the little variations along the way.

pkwest

Established Member
My tune is from Steve at power train dynamics in Huntington Beach. I am not sure what his smoothing is set to but I can check the hard copy when I get home. As far as A/F ratio, I told him I wanted a safe tune for road racing. It took a few dyno pulls for him to get it this good. Steve is the best tuner in my area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread