Question on Terminator short block

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
I have an 03 cobra shortblock, will this bolt up in my 98 cobra? I sold the heads off the terminator block so will it be an issue using the 98 heads? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

98v8

Established Member
I know the front timing cover is different. No holes for the coil pack brakets but if you convert to cop's or swap them that wont matter. Might be other diffeneces but thats all im aware of

crazycarlo

Established Member
The short block is a direct bolt in. ESP if you are going to use the b-heads and front timing cover off of your 98 cobra. Are you running. Blower or any kind of forced induction? Keep in mind the compression in that motor will be lower then your stock 98 motor.

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Im running an 04 cobra shortblock with b heads, u just need to use the b head timing cover, there will be a bolt hole that doesn't line up with anything but so far no leaks.

RussZTT

Established Member
Just fill the hole with RTV sealant and you will be fine.

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies! Noob question.... What are B heads? 98 cobra or terminator heads... I might be able to buy some terminator heads to put on. What kind of difference would I see in HP between the two heads? The engine will be procharged, how much psi I don't know but if I can get 600rwhp out it I will be very happy! :beer:

97 Nightmare

Established Member
I actually just did this build. Everything bolts up fine except be careful about the timing set. The 03 block doesn't have the same provisions for the timing chain guides to bolt in at the 98 does. In addition to that, the 03 block doesn't have provisions for knock sensors. Otherwise, it is a straight forward bolt it up affair. No big complications.

Cory

crazycarlo

Established Member
I'd say if u already have the 98 heads and intake then use those. Otherwise you'll need a new intake for the 03 heads.

97 Nightmare

Established Member
What's the long term goal? Boost I'm assuming? Every suggestion I have heard says keep the B heads.

Cory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If you kept the secondary tensioners from the Cobra heads you should use them on the B heads. Also, this shortblock in n/a form with B heads will make horrible power, both hp and tq. With that, I hope you plan on boost and a good amount of it as the 8.5:1 compression will reduce hp by 50hp/50tq when compared to a 9.85:1 engine.

The difference between the B and C heads is about 20rwhp and 30rwtq. The C heads however require a different intake manifold, throttle body, coolant crossover tube, and throttle and cruise cables. The C heads will not be able to make up for the power lost due to the low compression.

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
If you kept the secondary tensioners from the Cobra heads you should use them on the B heads. Also, this shortblock in n/a form with B heads will make horrible power, both hp and tq. With that, I hope you plan on boost and a good amount of it as the 8.5:1 compression will reduce hp by 50hp/50tq when compared to a 9.85:1 engine.

The difference between the B and C heads is about 20rwhp and 30rwtq. The C heads however require a different intake manifold, throttle body, coolant crossover tube, and throttle and cruise cables. The C heads will not be able to make up for the power lost due to the low compression.

I/m making 472rwhp and 438rwt with this head and shortblock combo with a p600b and 13.5 psi of boost. Running a 2.6 pulley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread