Question on misfires

OaktownACE

Established Member
How often is a misfire just a one off kind of deal that doesnt cause damage internally? Or is a misfire always an indication of a more serious problem?

I'm in California and I've read about bad gas here so I'm wondering if a misfire from bad gas destroys your engine or if it's something that the car can handle.

Clemson

Established Member
Old or fouled plugs can cause a misfire. Id check that first as its a pretty simple fix.

Dinosgt

Established Member
How often is a misfire just a one off kind of deal that doesnt cause damage internally? Or is a misfire always an indication of a more serious problem?

I'm in California and I've read about bad gas here so I'm wondering if a misfire from bad gas destroys your engine or if it's something that the car can handle.

I believe misfires will not cause damage. Some OEMs actually have cylinder deactivation as part of the engine programming to maximize fuel savings. My guess is those work in concert with rotation to minimize vibrations from odd firing, but I doubt the random misfires you might get is an issue for the motor.

As a sidebar, I hear 'bad gas' as a common excuse for bad tunes/performance, but with current refinery methodologies and fuel distribution, I find it hard to believe that it actually exists very often.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I believe misfires will not cause damage. Some OEMs actually have cylinder deactivation as part of the engine programming to maximize fuel savings. My guess is those work in concert with rotation to minimize vibrations from odd firing, but I doubt the random misfires you might get is an issue for the motor.

As a sidebar, I hear 'bad gas' as a common excuse for bad tunes/performance, but with current refinery methodologies and fuel distribution, I find it hard to believe that it actually exists very often.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

The bad gas excuse is definitely a scape goat used by tuners when their tune blows your motor.

03kbredfire

Established Member
Check tuning. Need to datalog. I was all over the place trying to hunt down misfire culprit. Ended up being too much timing for fuel grade. Correct the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread