question for those who race their cobras

badjuicedgt

Established Member
So we took my cobra to national trails this weekend for nmra race, I ran my car in true street and I actually got the car to come off the line decent my best 60 foot was 1.9 aloot better than the week before when it was 2.8 and 2.9 but that was on an unprepped track. So the car was consistanly trapping 120-122 on Friday but then on Saturday the best I could get was 117 and that was the first pass right after our 30 mile drive then it never went faster than 115. Then again that was 3 back to back run and air temp was in the mid 90's and with the humidity it felt like 103. My issue is at the end of the 1/4 I'm running out of gear I have left it in 3rd gear and crossed and I tried crossing in 4th gear but loose mph. What are you guys doing leaving it in 3rd or going to 4th I am not positive but I think my car still has stock gears in it.

I did get a personal best in the car today it went 11.98@121 it was in the morning and the only run I made today. Yesterday the best pass was also the slowest and in the hottest part of the day and the last pass out of the 3 back to back runs the car went 12.02@115 it was super hot and I couldn't pop the hood to ice anything so everything was heat soaked. So again what gear are you guys crossing in? I am sure the car has atleast a low 11 in it I just need to get the car figured out and really just need to get some better tires so I can come of the line under power rather than at idle and just easing into it since that was the only way I could get it to not just flat out spin, the car would start to spin every time when to rpm got up in first gear and when it started to break loose I would go into second gear so I may have been loosing some mph there too.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Personally I found that gears really helped with my et's. Before I did gears I wasn't crossing the line anywhere near optimum rpm in 4th like you said. Congrats on the pb!

03cobraracer

Established Member
With the power your making in your sig you should be trapping around 130 or so but if it was that hot out with no cooling off I'm sure your iat was through the roof and was probably pulling timing/power. I used to run 11.4@121 with a 2.93 upper only and stock blower no port. In nicer cool weather of coarse.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
it was brutal out there yesterday and today but yesterday was way worse track temp was almost 130, there were 23 cars that broke down either during the 30 mile drive or after the 1st run. We literally had 10 min to cool down between our passes. My engine temp according to my aeroforce guage was 203 and I have a 185 therm in the car normally the car never goes over 185 but I could not get the temps down and rules in true street you cant open the hood or miss a run or you are done. My 9 year old was in the first stages of heat stroke and ended up setting in my truck with my wife with the a/c on for 2 hours before he snapped out of it. I almost pulled out of true street because of him, after being a paramedic for 10 years he was in trouble if we didn't get him cooled off.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Yeah sounds like some of worst weather for racing. Maybe wait for some cooler weather and run it again.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
maybe I'm hanging in to long, I have been shifting at 6200-6300 because the car is still pulling. You can tell in most cars when they quit pulling and are just making noise but this is my first cobra and my first dohc motor. I have always had fox bodies with good old push rod motors and all but 5 has nitrous on the the others one had a kenne bell one had a d1sc procharger one had a single turbo and another had twin turbos and ive had a couple paxtons. We are taking 2 weeks off and then we will be back at the track over around Chicago and then in july I only have 1 down weekend all the others we are in Chicago,norwalk,and milan Michigan. So maybe I am hanging in the gears to long this is actually only the 2nd time ive ever had this car at the track. I cant believe how much attention the 03-04 cobras get at the track there were 3 or 4 of us all parked together and there was constantly a crowd around all of our cars and always someone wanting to ask about the cars.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
what size rim and tire? If you could, go to a 3:73 gear.

Users who are viewing this thread