Question for the SVTP Entomologists

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
I captured shots of this guy yesterday while messing with the Digital Rebel. I've done numerous searches and haven't come up with anything.

It has characteristics and mannerisms of a bee of some sort but it's nothing like I've ever seen before. Anybody have a clue what this thing is?

WhiteHead-1.jpg

WhiteHead3-1.jpg

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'm doing some research here...most of my resources are based in the SE US and not Michigan so it's taking a little while.

It appears to be a bee of some sort, but I can't find a definite identification for you, still working on this.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Let me try and get some info from you to help me out.

By the picture there appears to be only 1 pair of wings. Was there a 2nd pair hidden or not shown in the photographs? This will let us know if it is a fly or of the wasp/bee category.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
If you haven't figured this out by in the morning shoot me a pm and I will email my boss. (I work for a research lab and my boss in an entomologist)

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
I will use my doctorate in entomology from UF to solve your dilemma. It is in the flying category. It is also black, with large eyes. I suggest you kill it.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
It's not a bee. I would say that it's easily a species in the family Tachinidae. Google Tachinid Fly.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'm gonna take a stab here and say it may be a bee fly. There are several sites out there that will be able to identify positively using that photograph, just not me lol

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would bet this one, as mentioned above, is a tachinid fly but I've never seen one this black and it seems to have more hairs than a typical tachinid fly. Hopefully one the pros will call it out for us. Interesting little guy.

06C6Z06

Banned
That is a Dougie fly. It also can be found on various ice cream trucks like the one in this funny vid
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeoOR_NWHyo"]YouTube- Gangsta hit by ice cream truck while dancing to "Teach Me How To Dougie"[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread