Question for people who attend SVTOA events

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Just wondering for you SVTOA members who attend the events, do you

A. Only attend local events that you can drive to easily
B. Go to events wherever they are in the country

If B, how do you get your car there?

I'd like to attend an event, however none have been even remotely near me. If I could fly myself out and have a car to rent and drive it would work, but it looks like these events are for bringing your own SVT vehicle out to play.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SVTOA events are the best bang for your buck if you're interested in a driving school?

I can't help you with Cali because it's so far from me I don't even pay attention. But you could check the National SVTOA site and it should have some info on track events?

Get hooked up with some "car guys" in your area and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction?

Good Luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
You could fly in and rent a Mustang GT and take it to the event...the guys from Nitto do that every year at Sebring...they were there this year with a '05 white V6 rental. Heck, Jeff Lacina rents a Grand Marquis and takes it out on the track! :thumbsup:

AMB

Established Member
bcwang

What part of CA. do you live? There should be local SVTOA chapter near you that you can join.

AMB

jimwood

Established Member
Buttonwillow is a great track, and thats where they are having an event. Great place to get exposure to open track. Bring your own car. Drive it down the day before. If your in Cali it cant be that far.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Im going to my first HPDE at Hallet Raceway in Tulsa OK May 21-22, Ill be driving my car the 400 miles there and back. My girlfriend will also be going along in her car with two track tires in the trunk and two in the trunk of my car, Tools will be in each. Sorry no trailer hitch on my car, ever. Another good thing about doing it this way is we'll have another car to drive around Tulsa in after each day and to run errands with. Eventually, Id like to have a Dodge with the Cummins in it with an enclosed trailer to haul my car to events, but dont we all?? Either way just go, you wont regret it. I just mailed the entry form in this morning and Im already pumped up about going. Anthony

Stanger58

Established Member
bcwang said:

I'd like to attend an event, however none have been even remotely near me. If I could fly myself out and have a car to rent and drive it would work, but it looks like these events are for bringing your own SVT vehicle out to play.

It's best to drive your OWN car at our SVTOA On Track events... especially if you're just getting started. After all, we want you to learn how to drive and enjoy YOUR vehicle.

Once you get started in this hobby, you'll find all sorts of ways to get to driving schools, regardless of where they are! Your best bet is to try and hook up with other SVTOA members in your area and make a road trip out of it. Just put the word out that you're going and you'll probably find someone else from your area (or along your route) that is headed to the same event. Half the fun is getting there!

Most of our students drive their cars to our On Track events... most run on their street tires... however, some that run "sticky tires" literally remove their back seat and put their "track tires" there, tools in the trunk and their luggage in the passenger seat. If you're lucky enough to own a tow rig, you can always rent/borrow an open car trailer to haul your car to the event.

As for how far do people travel to attend? In 2004, we had members from NC and MI showing up at College Station, TX and Sebring, FL events. And back when I was a "student", I made it a point to add a "new" track to my driving experience every year, even if it meant driving (or towing) half-way across the country to drive the track I wanted to.

You only live once man... DO IT! :pepper:

See you on track!
Jeff Lacina
Lead Instructor
SVTOA On Track Performance Driving Clinics

racebronco2

Established Member
bcwang,
check out our website at www.socalsvtoa.com ... our next svtoa on track event is in november ... we do go to other events also .... we go out with redline, shelby club, speedtrialusa, nasa etc .... this month i have been to buttonwillow with redline, cal speedway with vettesrus , this past weekend with speed trial usa, and next weekend cal speedway with solo2 .... i was invited to go to texas motor speedway and if i do go i will need to rent a car and if i could find someone to share costs it would much easier for me to go ... so where in cal do you live

carlos mejia
socal svtoa chapter director

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
even if you choose not to participate -

show up at an event and see what its all about. spectators are free at svtoa national events (probably regional events too)

fwiw to me, the whole point of a sports car, is that i can drive it to the track, drive on the track all day, and drive it home. i run on street tires.

svt products are track-ready right out of hte box. have fun!

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
As a matter of fact I just returned from Chicagoland this weekend ... ran at Authobahn. Absolutely beautiful facility .... If it less than 7 hours drive I go .... I trail my Cobra .... Not because of the distance, just in case I blow something up ...

Whitehorse

Gearhead
Established Member
Hooked

I just did my first one last weekend here in CO. Fortunately close enough to drive to for me- About 75 miles. But I'm totally hooked!! You will love it if you get out to one. And definately drive your own car. That's why you bought it right?

And you get to meet some really great people who have the same interests- Driving performance cars... I found out about this website from one of the guys I was pitted by- We shared the same instructor and by the end of the weekend we were swapping track stories.

Of course the event isn't the expensive part- Its the-- Hmmm.. need bigger brakes.. need more gear... need better seats... Wife will kick me out for spending too much money on the car.... Need a lawyer...

Last edited:

lelady

Lurks-a-lot
Established Member
bcwang said:

For California, the SoCal chapter does a lot of open track events through the year (like Carlos said) we have currently have an open invitation from Redline track events to attend an open track on the infield roadcourse at California Speedway in July....what part of California are you from?

In California we have both new and established chapters in the Nor Cal area as well as SoCal, San Diego and LA/OC down south.

Then, as you heard, you have Buttonwillow in November this year - registration will open on Aug. 5 for that at www.svtoa.com

Vicky Griffin
Asst. Director So Cal SVTOA
Western Regional Director SVTOA
www.wildponymotorsports.com

Users who are viewing this thread