question for anyone that runs C16/ race gas

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
ok i am sick of this and need some answers, so twice i have run some C16 in my car and twice my 02 sensors have taken a crap on me, normally it wouldn't piss me off too much, but at the track last night i could have done so much better it wasn't even funny, about two weeks ago i had my car on the dyno and had 5 gallons of C16 in the car and used it all while on the dyno and on the trip back home, i then ran about another 5 gals of just 93 through the car and then to the track lastnigt with another 5 gals of C16, but when i get to the track (trailered) i look at my short term fuel trims as they are all over the place from rich to lean and repeat. and of course my wideband confirms it. my first couple of trips down the track was running 8.5-9.0:1 airfuel and was so rich it caused the car to cut out in the top of 3rd and 4th gear. i ran a 10.99 @ 122:nonono: as i ran the car and i would leave it running in the pits it did get better but airfuel never got above 10.0:1 all night. i ended up running a 10.44 @ 136 but could never really stay in it above 5500 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. so i know i left alot of et and mph on the track to be had.

so my question is this, what is everyone's else experience and how do you deal with it, i am running some bosch sensors since i had this happen to me a couple years ago too on the stock sensors (on the dyno with C16 then 2 weeks later they are done).

should i try another brand or do you guys just continually buy new sensors? they are 100 a set so i am really doubting that yall do that. i don't mind running race gas but i mind having to replace the sensors everytime!!

please help
thanks
Brandon

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
back in my LS1 days, we had good luck with Denso sensors, better than OEM for us then.

I don't know if this would apply to Fords as well.

I read a thread where Justin @ VMP said the OEM Motorcraft sensors were better than the Bosch counterparts.

Don't use Bosch O2 sensors

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Denso Oxygen Sensors

Denso part # 234-4046 (front) 2 required *same sensor used on the GT 4.6L engine - both engines spec the same part number*

This is a direct plug in sensor, no cutting/crimping/slicing required.

I won't bother posting the rear part numbers, they don't control air/fuel and only monitor the catalysts performance. I'm confident since you are using C16, you have already deleted the cats anyway.

Here is a post I found from a trusted member at Bob is the oil guy forums.

Denso hands down. I always ran Bosch in the GN which was usually run on a mix of av gas or pure race gas. With straight C-16 in the tank, the Bosch went dead in half a tank of gas and it took about a week on a mix of av gas and pump gas. My EGTs typically hit 1680 degrees at WOT so besides the lead, the car wasn't easy on 02s.

Then everyone on turbobuick.com started raving about the Densos so I gave it a try and was amazed. After 6 months of abuse it finally started getting a little sluggish in the cross counts but although I replaced it, it wasn't completely dead. It survived leaded race gas, antifreeze in the exhaust stream, and tons of turbo heat 1,000% longer than the Bosch units.

Sparkplugs .com has the exact part you need for only $34.11 each, and that's where I bought the Denso sensors for my Trans Am back in the day.

Last edited:

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
thanks man you have been very helpful, i will order a set of denso's most likely, i appreciate the time you put into giving me that info, link's and all :)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
thanks man you have been very helpful, i will order a set of denso's most likely, i appreciate the time you put into giving me that info, link's and all :)

That's what being part of a community is all about. I try to help when I can, and the favor is always returned when I'm in need. Enjoy the racing, the Denso sensors will be there for you.

:beer:

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
You ever consider running some Vp109? BTW wat track did you run at?

my tune was setup for C16 so i wanted to stay with that. and at my power level and 23psi, i was not sure if the 109 is high enough. Is that what you run?

No Problem Raceway in Donaldsonville La.

Last edited:

Coonsnake

Established Member
Yea i run the vp109. I like it never had any problems with it. I'm running 23lbs making 780hp/780tq sae, thats with stock pumps and 80lb injectors. I plan on going to state capitol on the 19th if you want to come.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
did you have the tune adjusted for it? i know that the stoich of that fuel is a alot different than 14.64 which is what pump gas is and very close also to C16, i believe it is around 13.7. which would require some custom tuning to have WOT AFR's corrected

rdsnk46

Established Member
I dont get it, some people have issues and some dont. At least 150 gals. of C-16 with factory O2 no issue. Knock on wood! Hope you get it sorted out!

Coonsnake

Established Member
yes it was custom tuned for it, dont know what the stoich is on it but i know its oxygenated. Alot of guys with the 3 valve mustangs run it at the NMRAs, from what theyve told me they all liked it

idhitit

Established Member
I ran the densos in my 04 cobra, never an o2 issue and it had atleast 4 drums of C16 and several pounds of nirtous run through it.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread