Question about V1 S-Trim to Si-Trim upgrades?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I took my V1 S-Trim head unit off my car today and I'm having it upgraded to a Si-Trim and doing a minor service on it which includes new bearings and seals.

My question is... When you get the blower back is it all cleaned up?
Its pretty dirty and was hoping they dip it or sand blast it or something. Im spending about $700 for both the upgrade and minor service and i'm hoping to get a like new head unit when it gets shipped back to me.

Also, those of you with the Si-Trim... How do you like it? Is there a big difference between the two Trims?

Thanks
Rob

JP_Stang

Established Member
I would think they would clean it up a little bit for you since it will be completely disassembled. It may not look brand new, but I would think it would look better than it did when you shipped it.

I don't have one of these units, but I have heard that the Si-trim is very similar to the T-trim, so I would say you will see a noticeable difference.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
I upgraded my v1s trim to a v2 t trim, can barely hear it compared to my s trim. kinda dissapointing. I loved how the s trim sounded.

35THCONVERTIBLE

Established Member
I upgraded my s to t and gained almost 120 hp i think I went from 440 to 530 then 563 with meth and 8 rib.but I'm not shore about the upgrade ur doing but if it's close to the t trim upgrade then u will be very happy...

Last edited:

dwtjr3

Established Member
From my understanding when you upgrade vortech puts a new volute (the snail) on so the front should look new and since the front looks new i couldnt imagine them sending it back to you with the rest of it dirty

dwtjr3

Established Member
And how much are they charging you to put the bearings in OP? because isnt the upgrade only $375? I was planning on upgrading mine but for $700 that may be iffy. For the upgrade they only put new impellers and gaskets on? No bearings?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I dropped my blower off yesterday. I drove down to Vortech since its only 45 miles from me. It's going to cost me about $325 for the minor rebuild (new bearings and seals + Inspection) and about $350 for the Si Trim upgrade. (New Impeller and Valute)

I get it back in 2-3 weeks. I'm also installing a 3.125" pulley instead of the 3.25" pulley I already have installed

My car made 463 RWHP at 6750 RPM @ 9 psi. (3.25" pulley)
I'm hoping the 3.125" pulley and the new Si-Trim hit 9psi around 6400RPM instead of 6750 and just not shift as high. My mid range needs to be woken up. I just always had to take my car to redline to get it to GO!!

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What gears do you have in the car lol? I'll bet you that you will make good boost but you won't keep the rpms down that low.. You think you'll shift early but you won't lol.. Unless you put a rev limiter on there.

Dark_5.0

Established Member
I went from Sc-trim to Si trim and picked up 3 psi with same pulleys and picked up 3 mph in the 1/8.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I have 410 gears. My shift light comes on at 6000. If I do a smaller pulley I'll be setting my rev limiter at 6500. I don't want to go above 475 RWHP
I'm just trying to et the boost to come on earlier. I feel like I have to rape my car to get power out of it. I have a huge 4 core intercoooler. It sucked up all my boost!!!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
People are picking up 3psi with the blower upgrade.. and you're at 9 now. That'll put you at 12psi at the same rpm. Then you're gunna throw another pulley on it so now your looking at 14psi we'll say. The boost have a more aggressive boost curve.. I'll bet you that it'll 500rwhp by 6k rpm and probably more with more rpm. The boost stops creeping as fast after 6k. just saying, but do as you please.. I hope you have money for a new shortblock though :D

HandsomeRob

Established Member
If that blower picks up any boost then you are right. I'm better off using the same 3.25" pulley. Vortech told me in person that the Si-Trim wouldn't pick up any boost but just build boost faster.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That doesn't make any sense at all. Building boost faster means that at peak it'll be higher.. If the S-trim is making 6psi at 4k rpm then the Si in theory since it's faster would be 8 psi at 4k etc. The blowers still run off belts so it still builds boost with rpm. ehh it is what it is.. Post results as we all want to know lol :beer:

SVTPete83

Established Member
Do you get to keep your Carb number when going to si trim? I would be curious to know the results of this as well

USACHMP

Established Member
i didnt notice a big difference with the s trim to si trim upgrade. HOWEVER when i went to the YSI trim it was a huge difference. (on sale right now)

Users who are viewing this thread