Question about tuning my cobra!

twofast

Established Member
When I bought my cobra the car didn't come with the handheld tuner. The car has basic bolt ons. 2.8 upper, full exhaust, intake.

I'm in the process of doing solid axle swap and thinking of doing 3.73 gears. Can I just buy a used SCT tuner that is unlocked...plug it in just to recalibrate the speedo for the gears?

Second question. When I go and get my car tuned in the future. Will I have to take the car to the dealership to get a stock tune flashed in first or can the tuner change the existing tune and then save it into my sct handheld?

Zemedici

Established Member
When I bought my cobra the car didn't come with the handheld tuner. The car has basic bolt ons. 2.8 upper, full exhaust, intake.

I'm in the process of doing solid axle swap and thinking of doing 3.73 gears. Can I just buy a used SCT tuner that is unlocked...plug it in just to recalibrate the speedo for the gears?

Second question. When I go and get my car tuned in the future. Will I have to take the car to the dealership to get a stock tune flashed in first or can the tuner change the existing tune and then save it into my sct handheld?

Just wait and have it tuned one time, no reason to have it tuned multiple times. In addition, the tuner can work off the current tune In the car. I'd be careful going WOT on a car that you don't much about the tune, could be boomski

SS EATR

Established Member
Just wait and have it tuned one time, no reason to have it tuned multiple times. In addition, the tuner can work off the current tune In the car. I'd be careful going WOT on a car that you don't much about the tune, could be boomski

This. Once you get it tuned whatever tune is on the car now will just be stored as the stock tune on the handheld. You also may want to check the ecu and see if it has a chip. That may have been used instead of a handheld device.

twofast

Established Member
I checked and no chip. Is sctx3 good enough or is x4 worth the extra money? If I buy a used one, all I need to do is make sure it's unmarried correct?

SS EATR

Established Member
I checked and no chip. Is sctx3 good enough or is x4 worth the extra money? If I buy a used one, all I need to do is make sure it's unmarried correct?

Right, the x3 is all you need really, thats what I use on my car

smashedheadcat

Established Member
If you have a pulley, full exhaust and an intake, you'll definitely need a tune. One of the dumbest things you can do is gamble your engine by not getting a tune just to save a a few bucks. You have a modified, forced induction vehicle. Do your part to keep it in good working order.

A tuner will not be able to extract the current tune-up from your car. You'll have to start over. Thankfully, you have a very basic combo and it can be nailed down by a competent tuner in no time.

If you buy an Xcal tuner and just adjust the speedo, you will effectively overwrite the current tune with a stock one with the speedometer adjustment. You do not want to do that.

Any XCAL will work. I still use the xcal 2. I'll keep it until it dies.

Do yourself a favor and call up the vendor of your choice on here. Pick up an xcal or whatever and have them send you a tune. Do what they say, exactly how they say it, and go enjoy your car. They are much more fun when you're not worried about them.

Users who are viewing this thread