Question about temps... Whats normal?

97cobra1

Established Member
Ive got a 97 cobra. Installed an n/a aluminator bottom end in it last year, and shortly after started fighting coolant issues. Busted coolant tanks/gaskets/etc.

I installed an autometer gauge to keep better tabs on temps Sensor is in the bottom of the block beside the oilpan)... But i really dont have any clue as to what normal operating temps are, and what temperature should i consider it running hot?

What temps do you guys see at speed? in stop and go traffic?

Stock fan settings and stock tstat/radiator.

Toying around with replacing the stock stuff with a reische 170 stat and 03/04 radiator. Opinions?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I am running a 03 Aviator 4v engine and I have my temp probe tapped into my Lethal cooling mod line and the car runs around 190-210 degrees depending on outside temp and my driving.

97cobra1

Established Member
Mine has been creeping up above 210 ever so slightly... Maybe 215? It gets between the 210 notch and the next notch up on the autometer that isnt numbered.

Stays between 195 and 210 at night but during the day it gets a bit higher. I dunno if its the outside temps or if the system isn't cooling properly. I want to do the 03 radiator for peace of mind. I kinda feel like the stock radiator isn't doing the job of cooling it should be.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I'd make sure the fan is coming on when it is supposed to before changing anything. If it checks out I'd try a new thermostat before a rad.

CJK440

Established Member
Keep in mind the stock cooling setup is misleading compared to more traditional cars.

The stat on a 2V or Windsor regulates the temp of which the coolant in the engine can get to before the radiator is involved. Right before the radiator and after the motor is the hottest coolant in the system. With a good cooling system, a temp sender in the intake manifold would read close to the stat rating.

A stock SN-95 cobra has the stat in the lower hose. The stat rating determines the temp of the water going into the engine, the coolest water in the circuit. The water will naturally heat up as it passes thru the motor and will exit via the upper hose at a distinctly hotter temp than the stat rating. So the further away from the stat housing you place a temp sender, the hotter it will read. ie a sender in the crossover will read hotter than one low in the block. If you put a sender in the lower hose between the stat and the block, it would read close to the stat rating.

My Cobra has a 180 degree stat but runs around 210 based on a sender in the top crossover. Considering the system, this seems on par for me.

Consider this when evaluating your cooling system.

97cobra1

Established Member
I have a sensor in the bottom of the block on the drivers side in the coolant drainage(i believe?) Autometer gauge is what im getting the temps from. It seems to have a problem cooling the car down after it reaches 210. It just kinda seems to stay at 210 for a little bit then slowly creeps higher. Even at speed cruising it barely cools, if it cools at all.

It seems like something is causing the system to not cool as it should, but still cool somewhat.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Do you have the plastic spoiler thing on the bottom of the rad support on? Believe it or not, it does affect cooling. I noticed a slight drop in mine after reinstalling. Just a thought.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Do you have the plastic spoiler thing on the bottom of the rad support on? Believe it or not, it does affect cooling. I noticed a slight drop in mine after reinstalling. Just a thought.

Mine is there and it is noticeable too, but only when moving.

BurninRubb3r

Established Member

I am kind of having the same issues as the OP. I will reinstall that plastic piece and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread