Question about speeding LEOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I live in a city where we had a fatal accident a year or two ago involving a LEO doing a high rate of speed, with no emergency lights on, at night in a 40 mph zone. A lady pulled out of front of the LEO, massive accident happens, lady is killed.

I included that because the other night I was waiting to pull out onto a one way, 3 lane highway in heavy traffic. I observed a LEO flying by everyone doing well over the speed limit in fairly heavy traffic. This annoyed me because when you decide to turn onto a road, you don't time it for condition in which traffic is going twice the speed limit, you assume traffic is going around the speed limit. I almost wanted to report this because you would think the local LEOs would be a little more sensitive to this sort of thing given what happened recently.

I'm not one of those idiots complaining about general LEO speeding. I could care less about that stuff, but I think those emergency lights should always be on if it the speed is unsafe and there is a decent amount of traffic around.

Am I wrong here?
IMHO if you can't tell that a car is moving down a road quickly and you just pull out in front of them you shouldn't be driving. I see this daily on the highway. I'm in a 55 zone and someone decides that half a block is enough room for them to pull out and take their time getting up to speed. :nonono:

I can think of many times where an officer has been moving a good clip with no lights or siren. A few of those times were suicide calls where we were staged waiting for the officer to get there from several miles out and he didn't want the person to hear him coming and do something to harm themselves before we got there to potentially help him.

As mentioned lights and sirens make people do some really stupid things. Locking up their brakes in front of you, trying to outrun you, slowing down but now moving out of the way, etc... If I had to respond to a call that wasn't in heavy traffic and needed to get their quickly I wouldn't want to deal with the headaches associated with running full code knowing I can move through the flow of traffic smoothly and get their just as quick.

Slow is Smooth, Smooth is fast...

Smoked SVT

Established Member
I also think the King of England in the 1700's bathed in tomato juice, you have anything to back this?
I'm assuming you work dispatch, thus knowing the amount of calls they respond to?

:bs: Its widely know the the King was allergic to anything tomatoe based so this accusation is completely false. What he was actually bathing in was vinegar b/c it keeps the dragons away. :dw:

I see them sitting on the side of the road with radars on a daily basis, THUS in general they are hired to produce revenue for the city. This is my Hypothesis. Have a good day.

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I see them sitting on the side of the road with radars on a daily basis, THUS in general they are hired to produce revenue for the city. This is my Hypothesis. Have a good day.

And the earth is flat.

There's a reason it's called ignorance...

Smoked SVT

Established Member
And the earth is flat.

There's a reason it's called ignorance...

No the earth is round...and thats not an ignorant hypothesis. It is infact quite true. Another hypothesis of mine is that you are biased toward "LEOs" and you are one of the people that think they do no wrong. Ive never had an "LEO" do anything for me other than take my hard earned money. PS: Im not saying the "LEOs" are literally taking my money, but more of in a figurative sense. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread