Question about speeding LEOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
I live in a city where we had a fatal accident a year or two ago involving a LEO doing a high rate of speed, with no emergency lights on, at night in a 40 mph zone. A lady pulled out of front of the LEO, massive accident happens, lady is killed.

I included that because the other night I was waiting to pull out onto a one way, 3 lane highway in heavy traffic. I observed a LEO flying by everyone doing well over the speed limit in fairly heavy traffic. This annoyed me because when you decide to turn onto a road, you don't time it for condition in which traffic is going twice the speed limit, you assume traffic is going around the speed limit. I almost wanted to report this because you would think the local LEOs would be a little more sensitive to this sort of thing given what happened recently.

I'm not one of those idiots complaining about general LEO speeding. I could care less about that stuff, but I think those emergency lights should always be on if it the speed is unsafe and there is a decent amount of traffic around.

Am I wrong here?

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
There was a similar incident up in Madison, AL with a cop speeding on duty, except he was high too.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I live in a city where we had a fatal accident a year or two ago involving a LEO doing a high rate of speed, with no emergency lights on, at night in a 40 mph zone. A lady pulled out of front of the LEO, massive accident happens, lady is killed.

I included that because the other night I was waiting to pull out onto a one way, 3 lane highway in heavy traffic. I observed a LEO flying by everyone doing well over the speed limit in fairly heavy traffic. This annoyed me because when you decide to turn onto a road, you don't time it for condition in which traffic is going twice the speed limit, you assume traffic is going around the speed limit. I almost wanted to report this because you would think the local LEOs would be a little more sensitive to this sort of thing given what happened recently.

I'm not one of those idiots complaining about general LEO speeding. I could care less about that stuff, but I think those emergency lights should always be on if it the speed is unsafe and there is a decent amount of traffic around.

Am I wrong here?

This has been posted before but there are calls where officers are told not to run a code and therefore are not supposed to use lights or sirens.

There was a similar incident up in Madison, AL with a cop speeding on duty, except he was high too.

Please post a link to support this claim.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
This has been posted before but there are calls where officers are told not to run a code and therefore are not supposed to use lights or sirens.

But does the need to not use lights or sirens outweigh the need for general public safety?

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
But does the need to not use lights or sirens outweigh the need for general public safety?

I've had a few close calls myself. By rights, LEOs should abide by the same rules. However, sometimes we run fast w/o lights and sirens. A mental subject could become enraged at the sound of a siren or seeing emergency lights. Thieves flee when they hear us coming. Perhaps he was trying to catch up to a car down the road and he didn't want to clue the other driver in there was a police officer closing in... the list goes on.

epracmetcon

Established Member

Just curious, aren't said LEO's supposed to obey traffic laws as would any one else on the road when they do not have their emergency lights/sirens on?

I almost t-boned a cop one early am about 3-4am was going down a 4 lane road with a lot of residential side streets. Out of no where a LEO comes busting out of one of the side streets disobeying the stop sign with no emergency lights on at all. I slammed on my brakes and stopped as did he after he was in the intersection. He gave me a dirty look and kept on his way.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
LEOs are required to follow the law, except when the job requires them to do otherwise.

That said there is often the perception, due to the public's lack of knowledge at a given time, that the job does not require it.

This problem is when it seems clear that the job does not require it. In the last week I was behind a patrol car where the officer was driving 30mph in a 40, crossing the lane markers and pulled into a deli to get lunch all while on a cell phone. Another past me on the expressway going at least 20mph over the limit. A mile later he was on the median shooting radar. There may have been valid reasons, but it did not seem it. I have also seen other infractions of traffic control devices where there appeared to be no reason for it.

As to the accidents mentioned, there was no doubt an investigation. If there was no job related basis for speeding without lights/siren then they are liable just like any other driver, and jurys may come down harder in light of the mindset discussed above.

So guys give the LEO the benefit of the doubt and LEOs you are always in the public eye so make it a point to follow the rules unless there is need to do otherwise. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Just curious, aren't said LEO's supposed to obey traffic laws as would any one else on the road when they do not have their emergency lights/sirens on?

NO.

epracmetcon said:
I almost t-boned a cop one early am about 3-4am was going down a 4 lane road with a lot of residential side streets. Out of no where a LEO comes busting out of one of the side streets disobeying the stop sign with no emergency lights on at all. I slammed on my brakes and stopped as did he after he was in the intersection. He gave me a dirty look and kept on his way.

Okay.

The Sync

VTAK!
Established Member

Not even hitting your sirens or lights while going through an intersection?

My whole question is what good does it do if you are speeding to a certain location in response to a call and end up wrecking? You're not only endangering the bystanders around you as well as yourself, but you'd also be putting the person or fellow officer at risk by not even being able to respond by arriving.

I just think there is a point where driving too fast is dangerous especially if you aren't running code.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
LEO's are trained to drive offensivley through various adverse road conditions: visability, traffic, etc. they are taught to assess situations, consider driving factors and act accordingly.. what seems like madness, out-of-control driving to the untrained eye, is often routine, standard procecdure for LEO's.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Not even hitting your sirens or lights while going through an intersection?

My whole question is what good does it do if you are speeding to a certain location in response to a call and end up wrecking? You're not only endangering the bystanders around you as well as yourself, but you'd also be putting the person or fellow officer at risk by not even being able to respond by arriving.

I just think there is a point where driving too fast is dangerous especially if you aren't running code.

Okay :shrug:

94five0 said:
LEO's are trained to drive offensivley through various adverse road conditions: visability, traffic, etc. they are taught to assess situations, consider driving factors and act accordingly.. what seems like madness, out-of-control driving to the untrained eye, is often routine, standard procecdure for LEO's.

That sounds accurate. :beer:

Smoked SVT

Established Member
IMO LEO's often abuse their authority by speeding, running stop lights, etc only because they can. I also think they should always have their lights on if they are speeding because they do put others in danger. But then again they might tip a speeder off and he might get away and then how would the LEO collect the revenue for the city or meet his quota??? I laughed my a** off last weekend. Two cops were coming toward each other on a small two lane street. Neither of the cops had their lights on but one was speeding (id say at least 50 in a 35) and the other decided to pull a U turn on a blind hill. Well when one was doing a 3 point turn over a blind hill and the other is speeding the outcome was a t-bone wreck. Now if either was injured I wouldnt have thought this was so funny but they werent and it was absolutely funny. Plus in general I dont have much respect for LEO's at least in the town Im in. they are only there to pull in money for the city. They confirmed my suspensions when the city hired 20+ additional LEO's when all they did anyway was sit around and radar cars. Now they are everywhere on the side of the road clocking people. And thats about it...

Last edited:

oxw01svt

Established Member
I think this is where an LEO can use any excuse to his adavtage to get away with something for not using his lights. example my dad was driving through our town and he was obeying the speed limit and laws and a cop decided to run through a stop sign and almost hit him, the cop proceded to stop and yell at my dad like it was his fault. Now you mean to tell me that if that cop hit my dads car and killed him running through the stop sign that it would have been ok? I find it wrong for a cop to be able to get away with something like this. The cop should have yeilded maybe? And not to mention that there a little kids that live in my neihborhood a LEO could be a little more careful. I guess a cop is always rite.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I'm sure you'll find a way to say the officer was justified in everything he did so I don't know why I bothered.

Is that so? Although it didnt say he was high it did indicate he tested positive marijuana and there is no reason for that.

Have a nice day.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
IMO LEO's often abuse their authority by speeding, running stop lights, etc only because they can.

I also think the King of England in the 1700's bathed in tomato juice, you have anything to back this?

Plus in general I dont have much respect for LEO's at least in the town Im in. they are only there to pull in money for the city. They confirmed my suspensions when the city hired 20+ additional LEO's when all they did anyway was sit around and radar cars. Now they are everywhere on the side of the road clocking people. And thats about it...

I'm assuming you work dispatch, thus knowing the amount of calls they respond to?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
IMO LEO's often abuse their authority by speeding, running stop lights, etc only because they can. I also think they should always have their lights on if they are speeding because they do put others in danger. But then again they might tip a speeder off and he might get away and then how would the LEO collect the revenue for the city or meet his quota??? I laughed my a** off last weekend. Two cops were coming toward each other on a small two lane street. Neither of the cops had their lights on but one was speeding (id say at least 50 in a 35) and the other decided to pull a U turn on a blind hill. Well when one was doing a 3 point turn over a blind hill and the other is speeding the outcome was a t-bone wreck. Now if either was injured I wouldnt have thought this was so funny but they werent and it was absolutely funny. Plus in general I dont have much respect for LEO's at least in the town Im in. they are only there to pull in money for the city. They confirmed my suspensions when the city hired 20+ additional LEO's when all they did anyway was sit around and radar cars. Now they are everywhere on the side of the road clocking people. And thats about it...

Maybe they are all trying to win the fancy micro-wave oven for the most tickets written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread