Question about plugs.....

TRMI8TR

TRMIN8TR
Established Member
I've run the NGK TR7ixs for over 60k. Change them about every 10k - 15k. Fantastic plug. I've always subscribed to running the coldest plug possible, that doesn't foul. Have run it with the stock blower and a 2.8 and have run it with my ported blower and 2.76. NGK makes great plugs. And their TR6ixs are also great. Its their TR6 copper ones that always have that annoying stumble. Will never run those again.

Dont mean to highjack your thread OP, but i have some questions regarding these plugs as well. What do you mean annoying stumble? My car came with TR6s and it has an annoying little pops while idleing. Per previous owner, they are gapped at .35. Could it be it's time for new plugs? I have a 2.3 whipple with 3.5 pulley. Thanks.

Dont mean to highjack your thread OP, but i have some questions regarding these plugs as well. What do you mean annoying stumble? My car came with TR6s and it has an annoying little pops while idleing. Per previous owner, they are gapped at .35. Could it be it's time for new plugs? I have a 2.3 whipple with 3.5 pulley. Thanks.

The copper version of the TR6s have quite a noticeable stumble at idle. You can feel it at every stop. Feels like a slight misfire, best way to describe it. But that's not the case with the iridium version of the TR6.

TRMI8TR

TRMIN8TR
Established Member
The copper version of the TR6s have quite a noticeable stumble at idle. You can feel it at every stop. Feels like a slight misfire, best way to describe it. But that's not the case with the iridium version of the TR6.

You just discribed every sign and symptom of my car. Time for some new plugs and I'll make sure to get the non copper ones. Thanks for you info.

You just discribed every sign and symptom of my car. Time for some new plugs and I'll make sure to get the non copper ones. Thanks for you info.

No problem buddy. You can't go wrong with the TR6ix or TR7ix plug. These cars like them and you will not experience that annoying stumble, or what some have confused as a misfire, that is associated with the copper version of the TR6. TR6 copper plug is cheap and still effective, but for some, the stumble is enough to junk the plug altogether. I have absolute confidence in the plugs made by NGK and I can't ever say I've ever read on any mustang forum...people having any issues with the NGK iridium plugs, as long as they were the proper heat range for their application.

NGK even has a copper version of the TR7ix that doesn't appear to have that stumble at idle. Pretty popular on here with some guys.

big dad

Established Member
Gotta agree with RJ on this one, same plugs in my 03, and the idle is silky smooth and they don't load up.

Jkay98

Established Member
I just replaced my factory 11 year old Motorcraft AGSF 22FM1 spark plugs with NGK 4177's TR6 plugs. The old plugs all looked about the same and had .045-.046 gap, the car only has 12,000 miles on it. It had a rough idle so I figured I would replace them.
The new plugs came out of the box at around .038 but I bumped them down to around .035-.036. The idle seemed to be a little smoother but I didn't drive it too much yet.
The good thing is that they were cheap I picked up a set of 8 for $18.91 after tax (about $2.23 each) from Pepboys. If you order them on their website they have 20% promo code good until the end of the year.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I just replaced my factory 11 year old Motorcraft AGSF 22FM1 spark plugs with NGK 4177's TR6 plugs. The old plugs all looked about the same and had .045-.046 gap, the car only has 12,000 miles on it. It had a rough idle so I figured I would replace them.
The new plugs came out of the box at around .038 but I bumped them down to around .035-.036. The idle seemed to be a little smoother but I didn't drive it too much yet.
The good thing is that they were cheap I picked up a set of 8 for $18.91 after tax (about $2.23 each) from Pepboys. If you order them on their website they have 20% promo code good until the end of the year.

11 year old plugs????

Users who are viewing this thread