Question about intercooler fluid?

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Hey guys. I installed my ported blower and heat exchanger the other day. I was in a hurry to finish off because I had to leave town. So I had to just pick up some antifreeze. I used some premixed 50/50 prestone stuff but it is orange. I have been reading some old posts and it says dont mix color types.
Should I be alarmed?
I have not driven the car yet. just let it idle.
Should I drain the system and refill with the ford spec green coolant?
Anyways please give me some input.
Ryan.

Kysnake03

Established Member
I read a thread once on here about that and I think our cars came with 2 colors, green and yellow, mine has yellow. What ever your car had from the factory is what you put back ! I also remember something about using distilled water when mixing !
Ok I looked in the manual and it calls for Motorcraft premium engine coolant (green) or Motorcraft Premium Gold engine coolant (yellow). Then it says use what came in your car from the factory. 3.75 L (3.96qts) and yes on the distilled water in both the intercooler and radiator.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, do NOT mix coolant types. Early '03s came with the green and then Ford switched to the gold. You can use any aftermarket coolant that is compatible with the coolant that you are now using. I believe Prestone works with the Ford Gold but I am not certain. You do not have to exclusively use the Ford products. Personally if I was going to use another name brand I would drain the old coolant and refill with the new. And use distilled water when mixing vs. water out of the tap.

I have an FAQ section on my website. Click on the link and read the info under Primary Coolant. http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092349

Last edited:

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Thanks for the help Bob.
Ya all of the old fluid was drained from the heat exchanger and blower swap. I was in a hurry to get it finished because I had to leave town for work and I just didn't know about coolants and the ford dealer was closed. I only ran the car to get the pump to cycle and the fluid never got warm.
I think when I get home I will just disconnect the hose into the res and jump the pump and flush a few times with distilled water then drain and add the proper stuff.
Hopefully everything will be fine after that.

04torchred

Established Member
Special Blend said:
Thanks for the help Bob.
Ya all of the old fluid was drained from the heat exchanger and blower swap. I was in a hurry to get it finished because I had to leave town for work and I just didn't know about coolants and the ford dealer was closed. I only ran the car to get the pump to cycle and the fluid never got warm.
I think when I get home I will just disconnect the hose into the res and jump the pump and flush a few times with distilled water then drain and add the proper stuff.
Hopefully everything will be fine after that.

I went to Ford to order some Gold coolant for mine and they gave me red coolant, so I took a chance and put this stuff in with Distilled water. Haven't had any problems yet.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I've heard about 1,000 times never to mix coolants and I never have.......But does anybody know why??? Should it make a difference?

firemedic

EH!
Established Member
I believe CobraBob has some good info regarding mixing. If memory serves me correct (lately is hasn't!) mixing can cause a reaction between the different compositions and it gels up. However not from personal experience.

Is the Motorcraft "premuim gold" a long life product? Is that what the hype is about? I can see that in the rad, but the I/C?

firemedic

EH!
Established Member
As stated in the other thread why the push for distilled H2O, if your going to be dumping bagged ice into the tank on race day?

I mean if your H2O is so hard you can drive on it, sure. Just make sure the cubes are distilled as well.

Users who are viewing this thread