Question about inspection

93VORTECH

Established Member
Stupid question but I need to know. Bought my 03' Cobra back in February. Inspection runs out this month and need to get it inspected. Car has a SCT 3 with tune. Guy told me the car won't pass inspection until I put it back to stock tune. Well now it's time for inspection and I don't know jack about how to work this thing. What am I suppose to do to reset back to stock? Should I even mess with this? What chance am I taking of wiping out my tunes and needing a new tune or even messing something else up? I'm mechanically inclined but I don't know a thing about these SCT handhelds or any tuning devices to be honest. I'm really blind to this whole computer/tuning stuff so looking for some help from you wizards. Thanks in advance.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
You won't lose any of your loaded custom tunes when you do it. Just go through the menu options and you will see a place where it actually says something like, "load stock" or "return to stock" iirc.

Careful driving it on the stock tune if the car has a smaller pulley, though.

93VORTECH

Established Member
You won't lose any of your loaded custom tunes when you do it. Just go through the menu options and you will see a place where it actually says something like, "load stock" or "return to stock" iirc.

Careful driving it on the stock tune if the car has a smaller pulley, though.

Ok cool. Thanks man. And how do I put it back to my tune once I leave inspection? Is it pretty self explanatory? Sorry to sound so stupid but I don't know a thing about them. Lol

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
no worries, i am not very good with computers either - but those things are pretty straightforward once you get into the menus. there are a few things that were not clear to me like when it asked me if i wanted to save parameters, etc.

but for what you are doing there should basically be only one choice (which is which tune to load), and i think that is pretty much the first available option. best of luck with it

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
He's right. Plug it in under the steering wheel, and read the prompts. That's about it. You may have to turn your key ON to come on, but don't start the car. My 2012 instructs you to turn key to off position, press continue. Then turn key to on position, press continue. Etc. Then select "return to stock".

When you are going back to re-load the aftermarket tune, do the steps above and select, "load custom tune". Mine has a setting for a "strategy tune" as well. Don't select that. I'm not even sure what that is but my tuner said it's nothing they added. They have my tunes named such as 93 Race. 87 Street etc once you select load custom tune.

It'll take it a few minutes (maybe 10 at most). As mentioned don't get into boost with the stock tune and a 2.8 pulley. You will likely have to drive it for 50 miles or so after the stock tune is loaded for all the emissions sensors to start working again.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm guessing you are asking the OP but on a side note your car in your signature sounds really nice

Yeah. If he doesn't have the stock stuff the stock tune won't be happy.

Thank you. It's been a mix of modding and restoring.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
If I was you I'd have the car re-tuned to pass your local inspection. It's the path of least resistance.

Any reputable tuner should be able to adjust parameters so your car won't fail.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If I was you I'd have the car re-tuned to pass your local inspection. It's the path of least resistance.

Any reputable tuner should be able to adjust parameters so your car won't fail.
If he has the stock MAF and injectors it won't get much easier than returning it to stock.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I guess I would wonder why the previous owner told you to return it to stock or it won't pass inspection ? ( O2's turned off ? )
I have taken my 11 through N.J. inspection in 2014 & 16 and never did anything to the tune....... ( LT's & aftermarket catted X pipe )

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
My tuner set me up with a 4 bank chip. I turn the dial to 1 and back to 0. Wicked simple.

Users who are viewing this thread