Question about domain name registration

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
What does this mean?

There shall be at least two name servers for the domain (with addresses specified in the request) operating at the time the request is submitted. There is no restriction on the IP address of these name servers, but they must be reachable on the Internet at the time of application.

I have no other websites other than one that is totally unrelated. Am I supposed to already have the .com of the name I want to use or something here?

txyaloo

Established Member
What does this mean?

There shall be at least two name servers for the domain (with addresses specified in the request) operating at the time the request is submitted. There is no restriction on the IP address of these name servers, but they must be reachable on the Internet at the time of application.

I have no other websites other than one that is totally unrelated. Am I supposed to already have the .com of the name I want to use or something here?

Name servers are IP addresses that route say google.com to say 72.14.204.104. Everything on the internet works thru IP addresses. So it's saying you need to DNS servers.

Who are you using to register the domain? Most places have "parked" name servers for domains. I'd suggest using someone like Godaddy. Registration is basically fool proof thru them.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Who are you using to register the domain? Most places have "parked" name servers for domains. I'd suggest using someone like Godaddy. Registration is basically fool proof thru them.

Thats who I have mine thru and they are great to deal with. I highly recommend.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
It's a TLD. Have to buy through them specifically.

How do I get two DNS server addresses to fill the needs of the above quoted paragraph?

Thanks.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I do have a few websites through GoDaddy, only one that's even got a page online, the others just kinda parked. Nothing even uploaded or began. Just own the name basically. So if that helps with the DNS server thing, please let me know!

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
It's a TLD. Have to buy through them specifically.

How do I get two DNS server addresses to fill the needs of the above quoted paragraph?

Thanks.

You get the nameservers from your host, it's usually in your control panel or you may need to contact them if you have an old school host.

I do have a few websites through GoDaddy, only one that's even got a page online, the others just kinda parked. Nothing even uploaded or began. Just own the name basically. So if that helps with the DNS server thing, please let me know!

Just some advice, godaddy's hosting sucks a fat one, (and it's a ripoff). As a registrar alone they're awesome though.

As for the nameservers, they're controllable in your domain manager. You can see where they are pointing by clicking on the domain in the domain manager, and then clicking on "manage nameservers".

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Okay, so the nameservers for the GoDaddy domains will work is what you're saying?

Or I need to have new hosting BEFORE I can apply for this domain name, to attach the domain to?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You get the nameservers from your host, it's usually in your control panel or you may need to contact them if you have an old school host.

Just some advice, godaddy's hosting sucks a fat one, (and it's a ripoff). As a registrar alone they're awesome though.

As for the nameservers, they're controllable in your domain manager. You can see where they are pointing by clicking on the domain in the domain manager, and then clicking on "manage nameservers".

Hmmm. Really? I've used GoDaddy for hosting my website since 2003 and IMO they're excellent. I've never had a hosting issue and their customer support is great. Pricing is competitive. So please tell us why you say they are horrible. :??:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Hmmm. Really? I've used GoDaddy for hosting my website since 2003 and IMO they're excellent. I've never had a hosting issue and their customer support is great. Pricing is competitive. So please tell us why you say they are horrible. :??:

I agree, Godaddy's service is pretty nice for small buisness. They have a great interface and LOTS of nice plug ins/add-on's for your websites.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Okay, so the nameservers for the GoDaddy domains will work is what you're saying?

Or I need to have new hosting BEFORE I can apply for this domain name, to attach the domain to?

I'm confused with what you're looking for. The TLD you're referring to above would be, for example, COM. You have a registered domain name, correct? If not, you need to register your domain name first and then find a hosting service for your domain. It would be a whole lot easier if you simply call GoDaddy and let them walk you through what you're looking to do. Believe me, they're super easy to work with, pricing is very competitive, and managing your account (including domain registrations) is easy. They'll also explain how to set up your hosting account, including the name servers. Just don't buy options you don't need as the GoDaddy rep will offer them to you. Just buy what you need.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

Yes if you have godaddy hosting you can use the same nameservers from that hosting account. Click on manage nameservers then click on "I have hosting with godaddy".

Hey Bob, it might be good for a small website, but for bigger more professional sites I wouldn't recommend them.

I run my biz online full time as well. For me godaddy has a lot of limitations, it doesn't have ffmpeg, or any other video encoding support and very small php post sizes, memory limits and mysql packet sizes. If you try running a big script, (like this forum for example) it would be impossible or continually timeout. They put way too many shared accounts on one server in an attempt to maximize their profits. This is comparing similarly priced plans between different hosts as well, I'm not comparing a shared account to a dedicated server or anything.

I've also heard nightmare stories about godaddy on the biz forums I browse. Websites would get shutdown and all the data deleted because of a complaint. Godaddy won't give you the benefit of the doubt and will just say you violated their terms of service. It could be something as small as having a street racing video which they will say is illegal and violates their TOS.

Last edited:

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I can't do this through GoDaddy. It's the rules set forth by the TLD domain registrar for registering the domain. I must have those two nameservers to register.

They haven't emailed back yet. So I don't know if that means I need hosting first, or if I can just cheat a bit and use the GoDaddy hosting information, that's for a different unrelated website, so I can get the domain registered.

Thanks for the help though

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I can't do this through GoDaddy. It's the rules set forth by the TLD domain registrar for registering the domain. I must have those two nameservers to register.

They haven't emailed back yet. So I don't know if that means I need hosting first, or if I can just cheat a bit and use the GoDaddy hosting information, that's for a different unrelated website, so I can get the domain registered.

Thanks for the help though

I hope you're not blowing your money man. You do realize you don't have to pay for separate hosting for each domain right? If you're already paying for hosting through godaddy that means you can forward unlimited domains to that hosting account, (all of godaddy's hosting plans have unlimited domain add-ons).

Domain registration = -$6 - $10 per year for each domain

Hosting = $3-$15 a month for shared hosting with the ability to add-on unlimited domains.

That's all you should be paying.

Last edited:

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Okay, perfect. I don't want to waste my money either. I was just thrown as I have never registered this type of domain, and it requires what I quoted above BEFORE you can register the domain.

So it seems that since I have a site hosted at GoDaddy already, I can simply use the nameserver information from that unrelated account, to fill in the required Primary and Secondary DNS part of this domain registration form. That's perfect. I will require more extensive hosting for the name, but right now, I just need whatever works to fill in the blank fields on this stupid domain registration form.

So I'll make a go of it using the hosting information from GoDaddy... Thank you!

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I think it worked. Enough to get my stupid foot in the door and an actual order number, if the IP is f'd I can just work it out with them when they call me, haha. THANKS! These TLDs and buying from a foreign company can be a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread