Question about different LT headers

BLK2012GT

Established Member
I have BBK long tube headers on my car now which are 1 5/8". My car dynos around 425 rwhp and 377 rwtq. I have those plus Boss 302 intake, Steeda CAI, off road x-pipe, magnaflow catback, and a custom tune from HPP. My question is do Kooks headers which are 1 7/8" will make more power then the BBK's. Cause I've seen 15-20 rwhp difference in my exact setup but with Kooks.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Your looking too much into it. Im sure you picked your LT's for a reason. Look elsewhere if you want to add power.

I picked BBK cause they were 300 dollars cheaper then Kooks or American Racing. But hey if I want to get the most out of this engine I want to get the best parts for this. And I think 20 rwhp is quite a bit difference between the two headers.

wbt

Banned
If you are comparing same dyno, same tune, cats vs. no cats, similar conditions, and same rear gear with same rear tires there may be something to it.

Point is there are many factors that may weigh on dyno results. Do not race dyno numbers. Take the car to the track and see how it performs in comparison.

BTW - I have Pypes LT's on my car and it holds the record for quickest/fastest N/A stock long block, Coyote powered auto.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fdM2fQ4UKvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMO - I believe all the LT's to be very similar in output.

Last edited:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
If you are comparing same dyno, same tune, cats vs. no cats, similar conditions, and same rear gear with same rear tires there may be something to it.

Point is there are many factors that may weigh on dyno results. Do not race dyno numbers. Take the car to the track and see how it performs in comparison.

BTW - I have Pypes LT's on my car and it holds the record for quickest/fastest N/A stock long block, Coyote powered auto.

IMO - I believe all the LT's to be very similar in output.

What midpipe? Catted or offroad?

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Not at all. This is a different car. I traded my blue car in on this auto and left the shorties on as I sold the stock exhaust manifolds.

Shorties coupled with an O/R X is a great low cost exhaust setup for those looking at alternatives to LT's.

Catted.

Do the pypes headers mate up to the stock h or does it need a special mid pipe to connect to the cat back?

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Like other LT setups, it uses a proprietary mid-pipe that then mates to a cat back of choice.

The Pypes Midpipe is 3 inch throughout correct?

Are the Pypes longtubes a little long than the typical longtube? I only ask because the mid-pipe seems shorter than others.

Im still on the fence if their mid-pipe would mate up to my OTA pipes on my Kooks catback.

7136425081_7734996222_b.jpg

FastRedPonyCar