Question about Cobra brakes

03trubluGT

Established Member
I couldn't decided what year model to pose this question to, so I thought I'd as here.

Do the Cobras have vented rear disc brakes, or are they solid?

I'm looking at upgrading the brakes on my GT in hopes of getting the KB S/C kit. I was wanting to know if I should do a Cobra brake swap, or go with the Baer Track kit?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
i dont know the answer to your question(s).

BUT, i'd like to give you props for going about a s/c the right way and thinking about things like the brake system, not just slappin that blower on there :beer:

03trubluGT

Established Member
Originally posted by LBguy
i dont know the answer to your question(s).

BUT, i'd like to give you props for going about a s/c the right way and thinking about things like the brake system, not just slappin that blower on there :beer:

Thanks, I want to make the car a total package and a sleeper as well. I have been looking at the Griggs Racing suspension and am making this car my project.

Matt

ModsAway

Established Member
May I suggest you purchase your brakes from someone else? I would not purchase from someone with such an obvious spelling mistake.... unless I've been drinking too much I'm sure "Rod & drag" brakes are truly designed for ROAD AND DRAG..... A sad oversight I'm sure. I hope their techs are better then their web developers.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
As for all "new edge" 99-up sn-95 platform Mustangs:

Both front and Rear rotors are vented on Cobra, Mach, and Bullitt(same brakes) These three all use the PBR calliper on the front(red on bullitt and anniversary Cobra/black on standard Cobra and Mach) ALL V6/GT/Cobra/Mach/Bullitt use the same rear calliper, the ones with the larger rear vented rotors use a modified version of the pads(thinner brake compound layer) and a different mounting bracket to accomodate the 1" larger diameter rotor.

Last edited:

03trubluGT

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
Both front and Rear rotors are vented on Cobra, Mach, and Bullitt(same brakes)

Thanks, I couldn't find any specs from the Ford website other than "power disc brakes"...

Matt

03trubluGT

Established Member
Originally posted by ModsAway
May I suggest you purchase your brakes from someone else? I would not purchase from someone with such an obvious spelling mistake.... unless I've been drinking too much I'm sure "Rod & drag" brakes are truly designed for ROAD AND DRAG..... A sad oversight I'm sure. I hope their techs are better then their web developers.

I just used that page as an example. They have other categories as well, i.e. "touring" and "pro".

I haven't settled on Baer, just using them as an example. They are quite affordable though, and I have seen good reviews.

Matt

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by ModsAway

No, they mean Rod and Drag as in Hot "Rod" or Street "Rod".

BTW Baer braking systems are VERY VERY good but expensive.

jim

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
For the money the best upgrade on a budget is the OEM style brake upgrades available, and changing the pads to EBC "green stuff" for reduced dust and road-street compound balance. The metalurgy of the Brembo OEM cobra/bullitt "upgrade" rotors being excellent. The usuall "swap" ones you see are kelsey-hays units with a square hat-to rotor joint on the fronts. The Brembo OEM ones have a small contour to allow for expansion/contraction at the hat-rotor joint. They are great brakes. The aftermarket cross drilled ones tend to develop cracks. Baer uses modified PBR callipers and usually the OEM Brembo rotors as their upgrade, and are expensive.

If you are not racing on long road events, go with a Bullitt upgrade pack with ss lines for the fronts, with Hawk or EBC pads, and just do pads and lines on the rear. Make sure you get sport pads, race pads are not street friendly. Get stainless steel lines for front and rear. You can do all that for 600 bucks and make a BIG TIME improvement.

You can get the vented rear rotor OEM Cobra/Bullitt upgrade as well with: larger vented OEM rotors, Cobra spec rear pads, and the new brackets for the stock calipers (and epoxy paint them to match the fronts while you're at it) if want the whole 9 yards. I cant remember if PPI has them, I never saw the need for them after the front callipers-rotors/f&r pads and lines upgrade.

oem kit from ppi

They sell OEM Ford setups for Bullitt and Cobra cheaper then I can get cost myself at the dealer, and you can bolt them right up on a GT in a few hours. He has the best prices I have seen (done 3 GT's myself), and is very easy to deal with.

The front rotors are junk on GT's, the rear do not work hard enough to warrant replacing unless you road race. Cross drilled rotors(without going to a full Cobra R $2000 4 piston or a race $3500 six-piston brembo system a "real deal" crossdrilled system) has no real world benifit unless your car is trailered to the track and sponsors pay for it.

There you go, GT brakes 101. Ive been there, done that.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by jimh
No, they mean Rod and Drag as in Hot "Rod" or Street "Rod".

BTW Baer braking systems are VERY VERY good but expensive.

jim

That is correct sir! ................. ROD... as in "hot rod", and DRAG as in drag racing applications.... neither of them place High demands on braking systems, and both apps prefer the lightest possible weight.

As Kevin detailed so accurately the OE cobra brakes are a vast improvement over a stock GT set up ................... BUT!!!!

It begs the question..... What will be the usage of your car?????

High performance street.............. w/ little or no track(road race) events?

Car shows....... and high performance street?

Drag racing and high performance street?

How far you go and what you spend on brakes depends on your expectations of performance brakes.

If you are looking for max road race style braking performance that is still streetable...... there are many choices.......

What will be your primary goal????
Jimmy:thumbsup:

03trubluGT

Established Member
Well, I'm looking at taking my car to the 1/4 mile on occasion, but I like to drive the twisty Texas Farm-to-Market roads in an agressive style.

When I get a chance, after the suspension mods (looking at Griggs), I'd like to dabble in Auto-X. I will end up making this a very nasty little garage queen for those Sunday drives, or just when the weather is nice and I feel the need for (legal) speed.

Mind you, this car is a rest-of-my-life project, or as long as the fossil fuels last. (I sold my 69 Mustang, and I don't ever plan on selling this one. Also, this will not be my last Mustang either)

From what KevinB is saying, I could go with the Cobra/Bullitt upgrade front and rear for $850 plus tax/shipping or I could go with the Baer kit with 13" front rotors/calipers and the 13.25" rear solid discs with the factory caliper relocation bracket for $790 plus tax/shipping.

Kevin, knowing what my goals are, would you spend the extra measley $60 and go with the Cobra/Bullitt brakes, or should I go the Baer route?

Tnanks a bunch,

Matt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread