question about cams ( not another question about if they are worth it or install)

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
I am sure their is a million and one threads about if cams are worth it.. that is actually not what i am asking. my question is why i would require lower gears after a cam swap?

reason i was asking is becuase i want to keep the stock gear as much as they suck due to the fact that i dont want my top speed limited down the road when i am trying to do TS runs..

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I am sure their is a million and one threads about if cams are worth it.. that is actually not what i am asking. my question is why i would require lower gears after a cam swap?

reason i was asking is becuase i want to keep the stock gear as much as they suck due to the fact that i dont want my top speed limited down the road when i am trying to do TS runs..

Cams are going to shift your power band to the right. Gears and cams go hand in hand, because you want to get to your power band quicker, and stay there. You usually want a higher cruising rpm depending on how wild your cams are, otherwise you get into issues like bucking and what not.

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
Cams are going to shift your power band to the right. Gears and cams go hand in hand, because you want to get to your power band quicker, and stay there. You usually want a higher cruising rpm depending on how wild your cams are, otherwise you get into issues like bucking and what not.

Ok man thanks! I was just worried that not adding gears would have a major adverse affect on how the car ran. from what it sounds like though it will just be a small issue that i can easily fix if it becomes to much of a annoyance...

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Mild cams will work with stock gears, but stock gears SUCK!

With that, 3.55-4.10s gears will not reduce the top speed one bit.

Last edited:

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
Mild cams will work with stock gears, but stock gears SUCK!

With that, 3.55-4.10s gears will not reduce the top speed one bit.

lol trust me i know that suck.. im curious though how they wouldnt reduce the top speed if changing the gears would cause me to sit 600 or so rpm higher in while at crusing speed?

snakeraper11b

Established Member
lol trust me i know that suck.. im curious though how they wouldnt reduce the top speed if changing the gears would cause me to sit 600 or so rpm higher in while at crusing speed?

4.10's will reduce your top speed to around 130 in 4th @ 7,000 RPM with a 25.7" tire. No one really runs 5th, or has the power to pull it strongly, so your top speed will be about 130, unless you have a very long straight to attempt to pull 5th, but it wont go quickly....

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
4.10's will reduce your top speed to around 130 in 4th @ 7,000 RPM with a 25.7" tire. No one really runs 5th, or has the power to pull it strongly, so your top speed will be about 130, unless you have a very long straight to attempt to pull 5th, but it wont go quickly....

I plan on running in the salt flats in a year or two after i build my engine and put on a s/c

How fast can your car go with stock gears? What is the rpm at that speed?

i think around 1800 or 1900rpm on the freeway. when i was running 3.73's in my old mustang i wouldnt be below 2k on the freeway if i tried..

Users who are viewing this thread