Question about an Expedition

Gooch03

Established Member
Alright guys one of my friends has a 2003 Expedition with the 4.6L motor. He has been having heat issues and Ford says its his head gasket and they want $3,000.00 to replace it. That sounds completely insane. Anyways can the Mustangs 4.6L or F-150 4.6L drop directly in? We're thinking this will be the cheaper route.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
If it's just a head gasket, then why are you trying to swap motors?

Just replace the head gasket...

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
I believe they are built differently, like internals.. As an Expedition engine is probably built for more torque, low horsepower. Just replace the gasket.. take it to someone else, not the dealer.

Gooch03

Established Member
I wanted to do it myself but he is one of those guys that will only take it to a dealer. Well, that is until they said 3k to replace it haha.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It will bolt in. The F-150 one is the same. The Mustang one has a different intake (just use the stock one) and maybe different cams. The compression ratio may be a little different too. I'd just change the gasket.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
It would be a lot more work to change motors than it would a head gasket.

A Fel Pro set is 195.99 at my store. It might be different where you live. It'll have everything to change a head gasket except the headbolts, which will run probably an extra 30 or 40 bucks.

Compare that against buying a used 4.6 out of a Mustang and then getting an intake set to change the intake, or compare it against buying a 4.6 out of an F150.

Users who are viewing this thread