Question about a branded "lemon" svt focus

jdowd

Insert Comment Here
Established Member
So im in the market for a new DD and i come across a clean 2004 zx5 svt focus at a local ford dealership. Tad over 80000 miles, overall just a really clean looking car. I do my research and see that this car is listed right at retail value of $8000. I head down to the dealership and start talking to a salesman right away, look at the car, drive it and it is just about perfect for my needs. The salesman then tells me that it has a branded title and tells me the details of why it obtained it. The one and only original owner brought the car back several time because a check oil light kept coming up. The dealer was unable to fix the problem on several occasions. The car was bought back from the original owner and the dealership installed an after market oil gauge in the car to monitor the oil. For the past three years the car has been sitting on the dealership lot basically being used as a parts delivery vehicle and a car for the owners son to drive. My question is how much does the value get reduced if it has a branded title? Close friends have told me to stay away unless i get a crazy good deal on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So im in the market for a new DD and i come across a clean 2004 zx5 svt focus at a local ford dealership. Tad over 80000 miles, overall just a really clean looking car. I do my research and see that this car is listed right at retail value of $8000. I head down to the dealership and start talking to a salesman right away, look at the car, drive it and it is just about perfect for my needs. The salesman then tells me that it has a branded title and tells me the details of why it obtained it. The one and only original owner brought the car back several time because a check oil light kept coming up. The dealer was unable to fix the problem on several occasions. The car was bought back from the original owner and the dealership installed an after market oil gauge in the car to monitor the oil. For the past three years the car has been sitting on the dealership lot basically being used as a parts delivery vehicle and a car for the owners son to drive. My question is how much does the value get reduced if it has a branded title? Close friends have told me to stay away unless i get a crazy good deal on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

I would not be afraid of buying that car however I would try to get it as cheap as possible just like I did with my 04.

Mine had 127,000 miles on it and the Toyota dealer I bought it from must have stolen it on a trade in, because I paid just over 5K for it. They obviously did not know what they had, offered very little to the person who traded it, and were able to sell it fairly cheap.

How much a lemon buy back is actually reduced in resale depends a lot on the back story, and that back story would not scare me off in the least.
However no way I would pay full retail.
I would offer 5200 and see if they move, fully expecting 5200 to not fly.
The car is going to need a timing belt soon. These are great little cars though!!!

jdowd

Insert Comment Here
Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply Jimmy. Im going to head back down there later this afternoon to discuss the price of the car. There is no way i will pay full retail on the car. Hopefully all goes well.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
If you get me the VIN I should be able to see what repairs it came in for under warranty.

Lemon law cars can be great deals but it will affect resale value in the future so if that's a big concern then you may not want that car.

-Steve

jdowd

Insert Comment Here
Established Member
If you get me the VIN I should be able to see what repairs it came in for under warranty.

Lemon law cars can be great deals but it will affect resale value in the future so if that's a big concern then you may not want that car.

-Steve

Here is the vin# Steve. 3FAHP37543R173225. Its something that i plan to drive for a long time. Not something that i plan to sell. Did not have a chance to go back over the weekend. Had my dad go down to look at the car himself because i been super swamped at work. He was told that this is a $10,000 car and any offer below asking price would be insulting.....

02fordsvt

Established Member
To be honest, the real world market value for these cars is closer to the $5000-$6000 mark even if it's in great condition. You can get a some Svt's in excellent condition within that price range (as long as your willing to travel) and poor cars for less.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Here is the vin# Steve. 3FAHP37543R173225. Its something that i plan to drive for a long time. Not something that i plan to sell. Did not have a chance to go back over the weekend. Had my dad go down to look at the car himself because i been super swamped at work. He was told that this is a $10,000 car and any offer below asking price would be insulting.....

Looks like it may have been bought back due to repeated issues with the radio of all things or possibly flickering dash lights.

I don't know exactly how the laws work in California but those are the only things I see the car coming in for repeatedly.

It got a new clutch, steering wheel (it had a bump in it), cluster and that's about it.

Doesn't really look like it was a bad car really. :shrug:

Sapperstang

Established Member
I would not be afraid of buying that car however I would try to get it as cheap as possible just like I did with my 04.

Mine had 127,000 miles on it and the Toyota dealer I bought it from must have stolen it on a trade in, because I paid just over 5K for it. They obviously did not know what they had, offered very little to the person who traded it, and were able to sell it fairly cheap.

How much a lemon buy back is actually reduced in resale depends a lot on the back story, and that back story would not scare me off in the least.
However no way I would pay full retail.
I would offer 5200 and see if they move, fully expecting 5200 to not fly.
The car is going to need a timing belt soon. These are great little cars though!!!

You paid too much. You didn't get a deal.

spyderman

Established Member
The question is "who is insulting who". They are in the business of insulting. Don't get stuck with the errand car.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
You just have to ignore him, he had a bad experience with his SVT which in his mind means that they're all garbage. :rollseyes

yep, he is definately not a fan any more.

I've had to do a few odds and ends to mine but another happy owner here.

Sapperstang

Established Member
You just have to ignore him, he had a bad experience with his SVT which in his mind means that they're all garbage. :rollseyes

Yep. It's not the greatest thing on four wheels as you seem to think. Regardless, 127K miles for 5K is a rip off.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Yep. It's not the greatest thing on four wheels as you seem to think. Regardless, 127K miles for 5K is a rip off.

I never said it was the greatest thing on four wheels, I have repeatedly said that they are fun little cars and when properly maintained they're incredibly reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread