Quality of your 'vert?

'90 SSC Clone

Established Member
The wife and I are thinking about getting a new Cobra 'vert. How do you guys and gals like the fit and finish of your tops?
What about wind noise and so on?
I have never owned 'vert, so just trying to get some info.

Thanks in advance.

:beer:

jimwood

Established Member
I like mine a lot. Very pleased with it. Last vert I had was a 93 Mustang, and they have made vast improvements. No problems so far.
Great job stiffening the chasis too. I am still probably going to install some aftermarket subframe c's, but very pleased as is.

Nothing like taking the top down on a night in the summer time.:rockon:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
wind noise is obsolete, especially with an exhaust. Quality is good. Only problem is some water leaks on the drivers window(dealer is gonna fix it.)

'90 SSC Clone

Established Member
Hey thanks, that is some pretty good intel. Glad to hear about no wind noise. I've rode in severl Fox bodied 'verts and they weren't that great.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
No leaks or abnormal wind noise. My exhaust is pretty loud though.
Pretty uncomfortable with the top down at freeway speeds, especially in the back seat.

Nice to have the vert and the power but if I had a do-over it would have been a coupe.:read:

'90 SSC Clone

Established Member
Well, I have thought about the power issue with a vert. But I already have a go fast car, my '90. And it would be kinda nice to just cruise around.
But I already know that I couldn't leave well enough alone. So if we go ahead and get a new vert, I'll change at least the pulley and exhaust. After all, I'm still a gear head!!!!

Wild Bill

Established Member
Whats the power issue?They have the same engine and respond to the same mods.Its about a hundred pounds heavier wich is really nothing for a car with this kind of power.Get the vert and you will wonder why you did'nt long ago.Summer nights are the best in a vert!

'90 SSC Clone

Established Member
It's really so much the power issue with a vert, it would be all the safety issues with NHRA. What is the rule with a vert to have a 6 point, like 12.99 or something like that?
It's really no big deal. Like you said, looking forward to just cruising with the top down.

nj7703

Established Member
I love it, i get more whiplash looks from other drivers with the top down that i can tell you. I think it feels super solid, no real leaks, i would never consider a coupe over this car personally. The fun factor is insane, and you are not giving up much power, i just did a simple CAI and the thing feels insane. A few more mods then my only worries on the street will be other Cobras.

Goldy

Established Member
I'm very pleased with the vert. The only 'quality' issue I've experienced with my '03 is with the boot (for the convertible top when it is down); it doesn't fit as well as it should. However, I don't use it anyway.

Should you get the vert, definitly get the it stiffened immediately. As previously stated by others, these cars have a lot of power. The chassis really needs to be stiffened to handle that power, to keep the chassis from bending/flexing excessively. Consider sub-frame connectors, strut-tower brace and such. I'm a fan of the Kenny Brown chassis stiffening products, but others like the MM and Griggs. There are many posts on this (sub-frame connecters/ chassis stiffening), but I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever you choose.

Good Luck.

Howard

jimh

Established Member
I love my vert. I traded in a 2000 GT vert for this one. I was happy with the quality of my GT. I bought it new in 2000 and traded it in this past Nov. No issues with the top, leaks, or fit. I was pleasantly suprised to see that the material on my cobra vert is even better than my GT. Nothing better than cruising with the top down, I can't seem to go back to a coupe.

One thing I would, and did, do it subframe connectors. I did the same on my GT. Get a good set of full length subframe connectors, even if you aren't going to be racing. In the long run with no roof you will have extra flex (not matter what kind of car) and the car will devlop extra squeaks and rattles. I use Global West subs in my GT and the Cobra. After 3 years and 50,000 miles in the GT it was still rattle and squeak free, just like when I bought it.

Good luck and enjoy!

jim

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by Goldy
I'm very pleased with the vert. The only 'quality' issue I've experienced with my '03 is with the boot (for the convertible top when it is down); it doesn't fit as well as it should. However, I don't use it anyway.

How much do you hate that boot cover? It makes me mental that such a POS cover was given to us with the car. I have looked for a few aftermarket covers but none are much better unless you go hard cover and do a rear seat delete. I like the look of the top covered, but not when the cover looks as bad as ours.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Me, I have no regrets. I love my vert. Like most already said, wind noise (with top up) is almost non-existing. Just get an exhaust and it'll all go away. As far as stiffness in the car, throw some full lenght subs, stiffer springs, and some good rubber and it'll handle almost like a stock coupe.

As far as racing goes...
I like to race but only occasionally. So far, I've stuck mostly to 1/8 mile tracks. They don't hassle me about being a vert. I can only run the 1/4 mile on private track events.

If your big into racing... get a coupe.

If you like to cruize with the top down and the wind in your hair, get the vert.

01blkcovert

Established Member
Had an 01 Cobra vert and now have the 03 vert. Both fit well but the 03 is a much higher quality material and better fit than the 01.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
My last 3 Mustangs have been verts and this one is the best one by far. I don't see myself ever buying another coupe.

Quality issues:
--top material came un-stapled. Fixed
--wheel hop. Still working on it.
--didn't come with 600rwhp. Fixed. Broke. Fixed again. :p

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Mine has some wind noise because the top is ALWAYS down. There’s been only one day I drive from A to B with the top up and that was the first day I bought it because it started raining. My top only goes up when I'm not parked at home. If I drive it a half block with the top up it feels weird. Even when it drops down in the 60's here in South Florida I throw a jacket on and cruise with the heater blowing at the feet. Man, life is good with the Vert! Everyone loves it.!

Goldy

Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
How much do you hate that boot cover? It makes me mental that such a POS cover was given to us with the car. I have looked for a few aftermarket covers but none are much better unless you go hard cover and do a rear seat delete. I like the look of the top covered, but not when the cover looks as bad as ours.

No question, the '03 boot cover fits poorly. I almost think the '99 had a little better design (sans the snaps); it seemed to fit better. I do not use the cover on the '03 as I fear it would come off while driving. Perhaps if it did not retain the 'folded' shape it would fit a little better. The snaps were the only improvement over the '99 design.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I love my vert, like others have said, there is nothing better than cruising with the top down on a warm summer day. Get the full length subs right away, that will stiffen it up quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread