Q & A Session... - Ask a Ford Dealer

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Local Ford dealer down to 2 F-150 crew new on lot, low point. GMC dealer is up to 6, high point in over a year and a half. Chevy dealer has over a dozen work crew trucks on lot, but sticking to the $10,000 ADM.

I would be able to get you a 2022 GT500 for a more reasonable price than a 2022 Ford Transit High Roof Van.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
It was some GPS tracker in case it got stolen and then some other stuff like paint protection, no warranty type of stuff, all crap we didn’t need or want.

She plans to keep it for as long as she can, we need the 3rd row and most other 3rd rows are more expensive and she wants to stay under $35k if possible.

Thanks, that’s good to know.
Dont walk, RUN away! Those dealers are the worst of the bunch! Put out ads with under MSRP or low deals in general, never mention it over the phone then hit you the the GPS tracker, paint protection crap, etc adding 3-8k+ extra for crap that you will never use or need.

Was looking at cars myself and was hit with that crap. Always ask about additional fees or dealer add ons ahead of time. Itll save your time and drive.

I was seeing 18 Accords 2.0 with 40k miles at 26k, these were new at 30-31k. Same with ATS, XT4, Explorer's etc. Soo much for the used markets cooling off.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
This chart really shows why the used car market will stay tight. The Great Recession really took a bite out of cars and trucks that should be today's cheap cars.

1650717954992.png

SHOdown220

Established Member
Passed a local used car lot on my way to work today and noticed a Fiesta ST parked out front. Looked on their website its a 2015 model with 82k miles, they want 17 grand for it. I'm almost certain I came across one of those new in the dealer for 18.9k back in the day.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Passed a local used car lot on my way to work today and noticed a Fiesta ST parked out front. Looked on their website its a 2015 model with 82k miles, they want 17 grand for it. I'm almost certain I came across one of those new in the dealer for 18.9k back in the day.
One of the main reasons I went with a bike and not a car. Carmax was looking to get $24K+ for 18-19 FiST with somewhere in the 30K-50Kmi.

SHOdown220

Established Member
One of the main reasons I went with a bike and not a car. Carmax was looking to get $24K+ for 18-19 FiST with somewhere in the 30K-50Kmi.
That’s insane. That’s what I paid for my FoST when it was new. Should have never sold that car I’ll never find another one in great condition for a fair price it seems like.

Anyways bikes aren’t much better. Dealers adding tons of markups and fees turns a $20k bike into a 25-26k bike easily. Been keeping an eye out for another bike but kinda waiting it out see if prices come
back down some.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s insane. That’s what I paid for my FoST when it was new. Should have never sold that car I’ll never find another one in great condition for a fair price it seems like.

Anyways bikes aren’t much better. Dealers adding tons of markups and fees turns a $20k bike into a 25-26k bike easily. Been keeping an eye out for another bike but kinda waiting it out see if prices come
back down some.
I got mine for MSRP in Jan/Feb everything was MSRP there. But this was at a strictly BMW store and not one of the conglomerate stores. I don’t recall seeing any markups on new bikes at other stores. But those used prices…o_O they can get ****ed on those. One place had a 2015 R1 w/11K mi and they wanted something like $14K:oops::rolleyes:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Nick, any word on specs on the 2022 Raptor R ?

Really want to order one, but obviously nothing released yet from ford.

Think it will be pushed back to ‘23 or even possibly cancelled ?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nick, any word on specs on the 2022 Raptor R ?

Really want to order one, but obviously nothing released yet from ford.

Think it will be pushed back to ‘23 or even possibly cancelled ?

It'll come out.

They won't make many.

They'll have absurd MSRPs.

The ADMs will push it to $200k.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Wondering what Nick @13COBRA and other folks who work at dealerships think of the new manufacturer and dealer practices that are becoming more and more common:

1. Manufacturers starting to charge a monthly subscription fee for added features that to this point have been standard on your car (i.e. heated seats, emergency braking systems): Subscription based pricing
  2. Dealers adding on "MANDATORY" options such as paint protection and VIN etching. Even though they aren't mandatory to buy the car, most dealers are charging it as a part as of the OTD price and force you to haggle to take it off. For example check out the "Henderson Hyundai Protection Package" baked into the up front price on this car at a local dealership (FYI, they have added this package to all new cars on their lot): $2K for a protection package on a new Sonata? WTF?!?!?!
  3. The incredible increase of MSRP on all vehicles. Over the past few weeks I have replied to several Facebook posts in the S550 Buy and Sell group when crybabies complain about dealers charging over $50K for a Mustang. When a dealer sells a car for MSRP, if the price is high, that's not the dealer's doing, its the manufacturer. The average new car costs over $47K! Average new car costs over $47k!
  4. And of course, the dreaded ADM, which some dealers don't charge because they try to tack on the mandatory packages mentioned in #2.
I have also heard of dealers charging you an ADM to order through their dealership and some who are trying to add the protection packages mentioned in #2 to your ordered vehicle (LOL...it hasn't even been assembled or delivered and dealers are trying to add costs the consumer doesn't want). I almost want to go into a dealership for fun and try to negotiate my way into an MSRP deal. LOL

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wondering what Nick @13COBRA and other folks who work at dealerships think of the new manufacturer and dealer practices that are becoming more and more common:

1. Manufacturers starting to charge a monthly subscription fee for added features that to this point have been standard on your car (i.e. heated seats, emergency braking systems): Subscription based pricing
  2. Dealers adding on "MANDATORY" options such as paint protection and VIN etching. Even though they aren't mandatory to buy the car, most dealers are charging it as a part as of the OTD price and force you to haggle to take it off. For example check out the "Henderson Hyundai Protection Package" baked into the up front price on this car at a local dealership (FYI, they have added this package to all new cars on their lot): $2K for a protection package on a new Sonata? WTF?!?!?!
  3. The incredible increase of MSRP on all vehicles. Over the past few weeks I have replied to several Facebook posts in the S550 Buy and Sell group when crybabies complain about dealers charging over $50K for a Mustang. When a dealer sells a car for MSRP, if the price is high, that's not the dealer's doing, its the manufacturer. The average new car costs over $47K! Average new car costs over $47k!
  4. And of course, the dreaded ADM, which some dealers don't charge because they try to tack on the mandatory packages mentioned in #2.
I have also heard of dealers charging you an ADM to order through their dealership and some who are trying to add the protection packages mentioned in #2 to your ordered vehicle (LOL...it hasn't even been assembled or delivered and dealers are trying to add costs the consumer doesn't want). I almost want to go into a dealership for fun and try to negotiate my way into an MSRP deal. LOL

1. I think there are pros and cons. I'm really not 100% sure why manufacturers have gone down this road in the automobile industry. There are plenty of other industries that have done this for years, but it's typically not in a tangible product like a vehicle.
2. This has been a common practice for years. It started 7 or 8 years ago when prices were at all-time lows compared to MSRP. Dealers were going this route in order to still be profitable, especially on new vehicles. There are TONS of dealerships that as soon as the vehicle gets delivered it gets a bedliner, windows tinted, security etching, etc etc. Dealer groups have made the decision at a high level and each store just follows it out as mandatory. I don't have a problem with it, as long as the value is there. Nitrogen tires is a prime example of it being worthless to bake into the price of a vehicle.
3. Dealers have no say in this. MSRPs on vehicles haven't increased as much as other day-to-day household goods, so it is what it is.
4. That's up to the dealer. I don't charge ADMs, unless I am ask to purchase a vehicle for a customer from another dealer, who charges me over MSRP to purchase it. At the end of the day, dealers can charge ADMs as long as the market allows. If you start seeing a ton of inventory stacking up, the ADMs will cease to exist. Previous to the pandemic sales atmosphere dealers were taking losses on new vehicles because of an over supplied market...so why wouldn't some take advantage of the undersupplied market and use the same theory of economics to their advantage this time.

5. Happens all the time. Same answer as number 2 and 4.

SHOdown220

Established Member

The dealer add on packages are BS, they know it and we know it. They go ahead and do you a favor by installing that stuff before the car hits the lot so you are forced to haggle and argue over it when buying the vehicle. It wouldn't be so bad if they were things you wanted and the value was there. But its not, it never is.

The paint protection is worthless, the interior protection is worthless, nitrogen tire fill for 300 bucks? LMFAO. $200 for $40 worth of wheel locks, the couple hundred dollar pinstripe you didn't want, the list goes on and on. Even the stuff you maybe did want like actual accessories are typically marked up well over MSRP. I would guess in most instances dealers make more on financing and dealer add ons than they do on the actual vehicle sale. Well used to anyways before the days of 20k adms on 30k vehicles

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The dealer add on packages are BS, they know it and we know it. They go ahead and do you a favor by installing that stuff before the car hits the lot so you are forced to haggle and argue over it when buying the vehicle. It wouldn't be so bad if they were things you wanted and the value was there. But its not, it never is.

The paint protection is worthless, the interior protection is worthless, nitrogen tire fill for 300 bucks? LMFAO. $200 for $40 worth of wheel locks, the couple hundred dollar pinstripe you didn't want, the list goes on and on. Even the stuff you maybe did want like actual accessories are typically marked up well over MSRP. I would guess in most instances dealers make more on financing and dealer add ons than they do on the actual vehicle sale. Well used to anyways before the days of 20k adms on 30k vehicles
Worse part of all this, they also do it on USED cars...... Pretty hilarious when you tell them no thanks only for them to say we can negotiate on the price for the extra add ons.

There's no negotiation, i dont want them. Plain and simple

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Local Arrigo Dodge/Jeep/POS dealer had 2k fees on every car, including used. Some BS paint, window and headlight protection.
Another dealer in Delray had 5k markup on every vehicle, even base minivans and the barebones jeep wrangler.

The Delray Ford dealer was charging 1,600 to activate the certification for used vehicles, then you had to add the extended warranty price as well.

Insanity.

But after a few back and forth was able to get a Wagoneer Series II with all rebates, no ADM and the low interest rate offered by Jeep.
Traded in a paid off Expedition so the monthly is dirt cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread