Putting subs in with mach 460 system

chad21000

Established Member
How would I go about putting subs in my 1998 cobra while having the mach 460 sound system? I've read a lot of different things on what to do and just not sure.

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
I have a single sub in mine. You will need a line out converter that plugs to your amp. It's relatively straight forward.

You need to tap into your mach wiring just before the factory amplifier in the rear. There's a small wire that goes between the rear shelf and the amps, connect your line out to that. The rest of it is a simple amp install minus tappingn into the ignition 12v for the switch wire.

I'm just getting ready to go to work now but can send pics later when I have finished. Drop me a PM so I remember.

Neill

cobra_neill

Established Member
You can. I make it sound more complicated than it is. On a normal headunit to amp setup the head unit will have RCA out at the rear. These cars don't. The line out converter is basically a box that has rca out and some speaker wire that you need to hook up to the mach 460 before the rear amps. That gives you the sound signal.

The 12v thing... The amp needs a switch wire for it to turn on. In the UK its called a remote wire. Behind the dash in the radio wiring there is a wire that only gets 12v when the ignition is on. You need to splice into that so the amp turns on.

If you have never installed an amplifier before I can help you through the whole process. If you have, there are only a couple of extra steps needed on the mach and I'm more than happy to go through the steps.

Neill

chad21000

Established Member
I've put in amps before. Just the whole mach system confuses me. If i get subs would I keep the factory amps or remove them?

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I'm not certain, but I believe the factory amps individually power each speaker (no sub amp as there is no stock sub). So you would leave all existing amps in place. The one thing I don't get with the line out converter is how does it distinguish the signal from the stock head unit and make just a bass signal to the aftermarket sub? I have an amp/sub just sitting in my garage, i'd also like to add it to the stock Mach460, but don't get how it would work just tapping into a wire that sends a signal to speakers??

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Line out convertor and amp wiring kit splices into rear deck wiring takes 10 min I forget the colors of wires there is a write up on it I seen years back someone will chime in with the colors

cobra_neill

Established Member
Your aftermarket amplifier will have a switch for high pass, low pass, or all. Set it to low pass and it will filter all sounds except bass.

My 98 is hooked to a green/black striped wire from the rear deck for sound. I can't find my radio removal key to get the color needed for the 12v switched wire though.

cobra_neill

Established Member
Okay. So the way this works...

There are two wires that you will need to tap into for this to work. The rest is a straight forward amp install.

This is for a 1998 only. Other years may have different colors for the same wires. Please check first.

Firstly, if you pull out the cassette player on the mach 460 there are three connectors that plug into the left side. Two are square black connectors, the other is an oblong gray color. To get the switched 12v you will need the black and yellow connector, which should be the third wire down. I used block connectors for this and cut the wiring and spliced my switch wire in and under the carpet.
IMG_20150912_114552.jpg

The wire in question.

This will need to go from here to your switch terminal on the amplifier.

Next you will need an RCA converter for the rear. Under the mach 460 shelf in the trunk, there is a black and green striped wire. I cut this and again, used a block to splice in my RCA converter. This will give you the line out needed for speaker signal. This is unamplified too so you don't get any distortion through your subwoofer.

The rest is done as a normal subwoofer and amplifier. Positive cable directly from the battery and negative cable from the upper tail lamp bolt to the amplifier. Mine is mounted via a regular box that I have cut a trunk shaped wooden floor with the dimensions of the box cut out, then covered in carpet. Doesn't quite look factory but its clean enough for me.

Neill

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread