Putting my imrc's back in, ??'s

98ABcobra

Established Member
Ok, i took my imrcs out, cleaned everything up and did what I had to do. Are there some kind of orings made for the coolant crossover tube? I had some cheap looking rtv on mine and it did the job but looked like ass. Can i get what i need at a local auto parts store? Also, when refilling the coolant that leaked out, do i put it into the radiator itself or just fill the overflow tank?

bssmith1220

Established Member
You should be able to get the o-rings at the local parts store, and you need to fill the coolant through the crossover tube. The plug in top comes out.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I'd try to get the plug out of the crossover before you put it back on the car. Sometimes they are a real bitch to get out and it may save taking it off a second time.

98ABcobra

Established Member
also, did anyone have to replace the gaskets on the bottom of the imrc plate? mine popped out and now they seem to be stretched way to big and i can't get them to seat in now. they are the orange/redish gasket on the bottom.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
I had a hell of a time re-using my gaskets on the bottom...and ended up buying new ones. As for the coolant tube, new o-rings should be installed. And make sure you get that cap off the tube.. You'll never be able to bleed the system right if not. I used a coolant vacuum/filler to get mine filled (I doubt you have access to one of those though)

98ABcobra

Established Member
thanks for the help guys. i gotta to see if my buddy can get the gaskets from his dealer as i couldn't get them to reseat.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
You can also re-install it, fill the system as well as possible, then start it and let it warm up. Shut the engine off before it over heats, then loosen the purge cap. Only loosen it! You just want to break it loose, you do not want to remove it until at least an hour has passed to let the pressure reduce in the cooling system. If you can't leave your hand on the fitting, then it is still too hot.

Jim Snover

I'd try to get the plug out of the crossover before you put it back on the car. Sometimes they are a real bitch to get out and it may save taking it off a second time.

98ABcobra

Established Member
Anyone have any idea where i can get the gaskets that are on the bottom side of the imrc's? They are orange/red in color and are just rubber with not plastic around them. My buddy at the dealer couldn't seem to get the right kind.

98ABcobra

Established Member

i had a helluva time trying to get the cap off and it wouldn't budge. my socket started to bend. can i just fill it through the coolant tank?

elcobrita

Established Member
no you cant fill it through the coolant tube or else it will overheat on you. just put some elbow grease on it. i had a hell of a time taking mine off too. its all pressure in there. get a better socket. the water will not circulate if you dont fill it throught the crossover tube

bssmith1220

Established Member
use vise grips or some people get a nut welded to the top for future reference.

98ABcobra

Established Member
no you cant fill it through the coolant tube or else it will overheat on you. just put some elbow grease on it. i had a hell of a time taking mine off too. its all pressure in there. get a better socket. the water will not circulate if you dont fill it throught the crossover tube

so do i just top it off as much as i can into the crossover, then if i need any more coolant i put it into the overflow tank?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I broke a craftsman reducer off in mine with a breaker bar. I wound up carefullly using my biggest pipe wrench to get mine loose. It didn't scar it up too much...

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Spray it down with PB Blaster...then let it sit overnight. Spray it again, come back in a half hour with a 1/2 breaker bar and a reducer....BOOM. It should break loose.

Last edited:

98ABcobra

Established Member
Spray it down with PB Blaster...then let it sit overnight. Spray it again, come back in a half hour with a 1/2 breaker bar and a reducer....BOOM. It should break loose.

i did that except for using something bigger for leverage. i'll try that.

There are instructions on how to fill your coolant in the owners manual.

im the third owner, the manual is long gone.

Users who are viewing this thread