Putting Dog To Sleep

JimCSHO

Established Member
Very tough thing to do, but often the best. My wife had to take my dog in because I was traveling for work and she was suffering. Then I had to take my wife's dog in a couple years later. Tough to do, but even worse to watch them suffer.

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

_Snake_

Established Member
Ive read each response, you all have really helped me to put perspective. I am only a few hours from her appointment. I am going, that is the truth. I've told myself that I will go, and I will ask the opinion of the professionals and have her looked over. I guess on one hand there isnt finality until that moment, and that makes it a little easier.
I believe that will be her final time, and that is sad. I am going to feed her some steak for lunch. I did this with my old dog that passed at 19. He was so bad by then that he didnt even want to eat the tenderloin I bought and cooked for him. I have a feeling that she will devour it without question. That alone makes me wonder if this is the right choice.

My brother says that it is best to walk them to rainbow bridge than leave them to find it on their own. I suppose that means that it is better to take her there, be with her, and give her peace and comfort as she meets her end. That sounds great, but it also make me feel as though I am taking days from her that she may have otherwise lived.

Would those be good days? I don't know. Some days I look at her and say, and there is no way she is happy. Other days, days like today... she had a great morning. She was pretty active and seemed engaged. The bad days are no less than 50% though... and I think that is generous.
The guilt in me says it is because we have written her off and dont treat her the same. The reality is, she just isnt capable of living the life she once had.

Its an incredibly personal decision and one of the most difficult ones to make. My wife and I had to make it no less than 5 times in the last 6 years (3 dogs and 2 cats), and I swear it never gets better or easier.

You’ll know it’s time when that time comes. Noone but you and your family can say when that is, but you’ll know.

hotcobra03

Established Member
This was given to us with a picture of our pit bull

A Poem by Beth Norman Harris
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet or on your lap or laying beside you in your bed

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest – and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
First, thanks everyone kind enough to take a few minutes to comfort a stranger.
Loving a pet is wonderful, but it is also one of life's greatest upsets, they don't get to stay around forever, yet they affect us as deeply as if they had been here for our whole life.
We did end up letting her go. The past couple of days have been better than the past few months. Either we got lucky, or the extra attention we paid her as her appointment came near invigorated her a bit. Either way, I honestly felt a bit terrible being there with her. She had perk in her step, and was showing strength that she didn't have in months.
Our vet reassured us that is was appropriate, for a number of reasons. I am thankful to have had these good days with her, and despite the pain and uncertainty, to know that she went to sleep with love of life, and having had a good day or two with us in the end. The alternative, could have been much worse, as many people have waited longer and their pet wasn't in the best condition in those final moments.
RIWve4q0NnoJQb0koYwUYmUM8nSzeQ5EHUEQmQN7NrKYw&_nc_ohc=wogs91uKOkYAX-1ZuLU&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey all, just looking for some like minded dog people to help me with an opinion on putting an old dog to sleep.
I have a 17 year old English Bull Terrier, that is a very good old age the breed, they usually go 12-14 years. In the past 5 years she has slowly dwindled, but the last year has been particularly tough. We had issues with bladder control and got her medication to stop it. Then the incontinence started and hasnt stopped. The vet can't do anything for it. We tried diapers but they make a bigger mess, it is disgusting.
She has to sleep in a dog crate so that she doesnt soil the house (she will walk around dropping) and she wakes up covered. She has other beds in the house too and will literally let loose in her sleep. She tries to control it but most of the time it is on the floor.
We have a 1 year old that crawls...
She sleeps about 90% of the day and doesn't really connect with the family. I am considering that she may have some mild dementia as she paces around a lot, gets confused easily, and often seems distant. She doesn't connect with us anymore, even if we lay with her she barely seems interested.
I'm not sure she has a wonderful quality of life, but she also isn't dying of anything. I think she probably does feel old age pains but I dont think anything particular is painful, if that makes sense.
She occasionally plays with our youngest dog, who is a complete pest. She is either playing with him or trying to kill him so he leaves her alone.

I spoke to my vet (my brother in-law), my wife and my brother but I still feel a little bad, like we want her gone because she isn't easy. The biggest thing is, she is hard to manage because she is so disconnected from what is going on, and she shits all over the house, multiple times every day. I'm not sure she is really loving life at this point either, I can't imagine she enjoys soiling her bed, and getting covered in shit. She kind of gets around like Eeyore at this point... like she lost her tail and doesnt really care.

We have an appointment for tomorrow and I just can't help but flip-flop on this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Let me wife read this and said you made the right decision. She said it sounds like you have done everything that could be asked and she would put the dog to sleep if it were ours.

If I get the Coronas, I am getting bit by a tick so I can have my Coronas with Lime.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
On average a dog owner usually gets 10-15 years of pure happiness and joy owning their beloved dog vs. 2-3 weeks of misery when u put them down.

I guess I'm different. It was a few years of it when I had to put my dog down. Maybe not full on misery but it wasn't the best feeling for a long time.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
that sucks bro. you will know when it's time. Nobody wants any form of life to suffer.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The only way to get over ur loss is to replace it with another Dog. Otherwise I agree, it may take a lot longer.

I guess I'm different. It was a few years of it when I had to put my dog down. Maybe not full on misery but it wasn't the best feeling for a long time.

_Snake_

Established Member
First, thanks everyone kind enough to take a few minutes to comfort a stranger.
Loving a pet is wonderful, but it is also one of life's greatest upsets, they don't get to stay around forever, yet they affect us as deeply as if they had been here for our whole life.
We did end up letting her go. The past couple of days have been better than the past few months. Either we got lucky, or the extra attention we paid her as her appointment came near invigorated her a bit. Either way, I honestly felt a bit terrible being there with her. She had perk in her step, and was showing strength that she didn't have in months.
Our vet reassured us that is was appropriate, for a number of reasons. I am thankful to have had these good days with her, and despite the pain and uncertainty, to know that she went to sleep with love of life, and having had a good day or two with us in the end. The alternative, could have been much worse, as many people have waited longer and their pet wasn't in the best condition in those final moments.
View attachment 1629944

I couldn’t bring myself to read this thread again yesterday. I’m really sorry for your loss.

Users who are viewing this thread