Putting a hitch on an 03/04 Cobra - need help please!

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
So I posted this in Roadside already and although I got a lot of opinions on how stupid it was to tow with a Cobra, I know that people do it, and in fact someone suggested looking in the 03/04 forum for help. I need to get a Class 1 hitch in order to move back to CA, however I had planned to get one anyway in order to tow a small trailer with another set of wheels/tires, along with all my gear for SCCA racing.

Anyway, I need help on finding a hitch that works and I've found people getting custom ones but I'm wondering if the one for the GT will work fine. Looking at the install diagram, it mounts behind the gas tank anyway, and by that point the tail pipes are in the same location as the GT anyway, right? I think however that that hitch (not sure which one exactly) will require either cutting a section of the 03/04 bumper away, or having it press the bottom lip up once its installed which I'd be find with for short use. However, I'm not sure on that either and don't have any part numbers to offer. If I had to get a custom one, how much should I be looking to get charged?

Thanks!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I seem to remember a thread or someone who did this to pull his tires to the track, but it was a while ago and can't recall the user name.
I saw your other thread and the responses, but this is SVTP.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I seem to remember a thread or someone who did this to pull his tires to the track, but it was a while ago and can't recall the user name.
I saw your other thread and the responses, but this is SVTP.

Ok after doing some more research, I might be able to use a regular GT one, but may have to have it lowered 1-1.5" to clear the valance. If that's the case, what would be a ballpark figure to have a welder cut and add more material?

Users who are viewing this thread