Pushing water out of degas bottle on my term swap foxbody

silver93

Established Member
hey guy I bought a foxbody coupe with a term swap in it. Everything is stock
Except upper pulley and intake. The car has a mach1 cluster in it. My question is the other day I took it out made two 2-4 pulls on it. Went to the store to grab a drink after. The temp on the cluster is showing running halfway on the dash in the normal. I left the car running while I went in the store got a drink and looked out the window and coolant was pouring out of it. I ran out to shut it off. The cluster was still running half way on the dash. Killed the car and it pushed all the coolant out the degas container. I let it cool off for about 15 minutes before adding about 2 gallons of water back to it to get it home. My question is being the dash was not showing it running hot could that be true or would air in the coolant system cause it. Also the fan is running and cycling as it should. Any help or advice or mods I could do to the coolant system would be much help. I haven't had the car but about two weeks and that was my second time taking it out for a ride so I'm still learn the car and how they haverything ran on the swap.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Two things:

The factory gauge has a very high threshold before it moves from the middle. It stays in the middle unless it really starts to overheat. The mach1 gauge is probably similar. It is very dangerous and can't be relied upon to know where your temp is really at. The odo diagnostic is good tho.

2. If you added coolant only to the degas bottle (which it sounds like you did), you did it wrong. There is a specific way to refill these 4-valves that involves filling at the bung in the crossover tube along with the reservoir. Otherwise coolant will not get to the engine side.

silver93

Established Member
Two things:

The factory gauge has a very high threshold before it moves from the middle. It stays in the middle unless it really starts to overheat. The mach1 gauge is probably similar. It is very dangerous and can't be relied upon to know where your temp is really at. The odo diagnostic is good tho.

2. If you added coolant only to the degas bottle (which it sounds like you did), you did it wrong. There is a specific way to refill these 4-valves that involves filling at the bung in the crossover tube along with the reservoir. Otherwise coolant will not get to the engine side.
I did just add coolant to the degas bottle just to make it home which was about 2 miles from were it pucked all the coolant out at. once I got home I burp the system. I went drive it but didn't make any hard pulls on it. the odo diagnostic showed it getting to around 113 deg celcius. which is like 230 deg f. it didn't push any coolant out the degas bottle at that temp but it had also cooled off some outside and was like 80 deg outside temp. I burp the system again but haven't really had a chance to go drive it again. but 230 deg is still to hot if this is correct on what the odo diagnostic is telling me. im thinking about ordering the rechie 170 deg thermostat also. any other cooling mods yall recommend. it does already have the head cooling mod also

Dave.O

Established Member
As stated above, the stock gauge in the cluster is essentially useless.
I highly recommend adding an aftermarket water temp gauge and sensor, I put one in the driver's side of the block by pulling one of the threaded plugs.
I would also recommend upgrading the radiator, I think even the stock 03 cobra radiator is inadequate if you are "getting on it" or sitting in traffic with AC on.
The 170 thermostat is a good idea.
Replace the degas bottle cap with a new one while you are at it.

silver93

Established Member
As stated above, the stock gauge in the cluster is essentially useless.
I highly recommend adding an aftermarket water temp gauge and sensor, I put one in the driver's side of the block by pulling one of the threaded plugs.
I would also recommend upgrading the radiator, I think even the stock 03 cobra radiator is inadequate if you are "getting on it" or sitting in traffic with AC on.
The 170 thermostat is a good idea.
Replace the degas bottle cap with a new one while you are at it.
What radiator you recommend using? Also we're is the best place to get a factory degas bottle or just go aftermarket

Dave.O

Established Member
Just replace the degas bottle cap, once they have leaked the are more prone. they can be found at any autoparts store, 16 psi.

Fluidyne radiator part # FHP30-97M seems to fairly popular with mod motors.

Users who are viewing this thread