Pushing the limits on weight capability?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado Dmax 2500 (CCLB), my parents in law have an older Lance in bed camper that they have been using for a while in the exact same truck as mine.

They bought a 5er and offered it up to my wife and I for a good deal. The plan is to use for camping at the track and it may end up being driven pretty long distances, I'm curious for your input.

The Lance weighs around 3700 lbs (has a slide, heat/ac, bathroom, all that good stuff).

My trailer is an ATC Raven 24' and loaded up with the car, dirt bike, tools, fuel, etc it's in the neighborhood of 7500lbs.

Airbags would be a must, the truck currently has 126 index tires on it (3748lbs per tire but I would probably go to a load range F when replacement warrants), and obviously an extended hitch to hook up past the camper.

Is this too much for this truck? From what I gather it looks like it's a heavier spring in the rear of the 3500s and a 126 rated tire, which I would have both "covered."

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Just make sure you're under the max GCWR for your truck otherwise you could be opening yourself up to unnecessary liability.

Happy camping!

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Doesn’t Dustin have a similar setup?

I know Rob does/did, but he’s rolling the F450.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Doesn’t Dustin have a similar setup?

I know Rob does/did, but he’s rolling the F450.
Dustin has that old dually, but Rob did tell me that's what Brian used to do with an F250 and some F rated tires.

I think I'm going to go for it. The price of the camper is cheap enough I'd be a fool not to do it.

I think I'll be around 1000-1500 GCWR but I need to double check.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Air bags only increase a truck's level load capacity (the amount of weight in the bed / on the tongue where the truck still sits level).

Air bags don't increase a vehicle's payload rating, GVWR, or GCWR.
I understand that.

From what I can find, GCWR will be drastically under, so no concerns there.

GVWR will be over for a 2500 but fine for a 3500, the only difference on these 2500s vs 3500s is the overload spring and the tire rating, which won't apply any longer. Same rear axle, same brakes, same engine, same gearing, etc.

Lol Do I badge this thing up if I happen to get stopped?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Legally you are over. GVWR on your truck is probably 10k lbs and GCWR somewhere in the 20-25k (youre likely fine here) range. The GVWR on the truck is where you are over considering the camper.

Like mentioned above, you can get by with some airbags and it would probably be fine, but in the "legal" sense of the question "am i too heavy?" yes you are.

ALl that said, I hate to be that guy because i used to ride dirty all the time... you'll be fine IMO.

_Snake_

Established Member
Legally you are over. GVWR on your truck is probably 10k lbs and GCWR somewhere in the 20-25k (youre likely fine here) range. The GVWR on the truck is where you are over considering the camper.

Like mentioned above, you can get by with some airbags and it would probably be fine, but in the "legal" sense of the question "am i too heavy?" yes you are.

ALl that said, I hate to be that guy because i used to ride dirty all the time... you'll be fine IMO.
Agree whole heartedly

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I don't think the state cares about what the door jam or owner's manual says. They care about what your plates say. As long as tires and axle ratings aren't exceeded, you should be fine. Ran as a camper hauler for three years using my pickup.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Do you have an insurance agent you can discuss this with? Point is, IF you were to have an accident, would you still have coverage? The max weight ratings are as much about liability as they are about capacity.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Ive towed that with my f150...it pulled it just fine...stopping it was OK at best, i did have anti sway bars bars.

Where i really noticed it was during any turn at all...truck was not happy

Now let it be known i didnt do this on purpose...my father in laws truck shit the bed and i had to rescue him along with my mother in law and thier 35ft 3 slide camper lol

But he tows it with a 1/2 ton gmc with bags, bars, tires and brakes to match...it does better than ibthiught it would

Users who are viewing this thread