Purchasing OBX longtubes, few qestions

dabster

Established Member
First off, has anyone had these on? I saw a thread from a while ago but noone really had any direct input other than other cars. My good friend just got his in from OBX for his G8 and they fit great. My question is, do I need to also purchase an SCT tuner for the car and get a tune from someone as well? This will be my first mod as I don't even have the car yet lol. Just want it on the way when it gets here. Thanks for the input!

Before anyone gives me grief for OBX, they're 550 for the longtubes and x pipe...pretty hard to beat the price...it's only 200 more than an x pipe alone...I figured hell why not.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
I'd set $550 on fire in the front yard before I'd buy those headers. There's a thread somewhere where the chinese welds have come apart, or starting to come apart, at the runners to the flange after minimal use.

As for giving you grief.............spend away!......besides, it's ONLY $550 bucks right?:bored:

9AEE4D23-0695-41E4-A1F9-CEF10A4C2DD8_zpsbyw4gafb.gif

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I'd set $550 on fire in the front yard before I'd buy those headers. There's a thread somewhere where the chinese welds have come apart, or starting to come apart, at the runners to the flange after minimal use.

As for giving you grief.............spend away!......besides, it's ONLY $550 bucks right?:bored:

What about StainlessPower by StainlessWorks? They are about $800 and made here in the US, but they are welded overseas (China I think). My girlfriend just had them installed on her ... cough, cough Camaro. They come with the 2 yr, StainlessWorks warrantee too.

dabster

Established Member

9AEE4D23-0695-41E4-A1F9-CEF10A4C2DD8_zpsbyw4gafb.gif
when I say only, i mean in relation to all the other headers on the market's prices. It's insane to me how much some of them are. I might just go with an Off road x and sct now that everyone's giving me so much trouble lol. What about the tune part though wouldn't it run rich without one? This will be my only performance mod for a bit so I'm trying to make the right choice. Trust me I'm no baller lol. Still in school grinding by.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
I havent seen or heard of anyone running these on a Coyote, be the guinea pig for us and try them out, and as far as letting opinions on here making up your mind, you gotta take some with a grain of salt, especially coming from those that dont even use the car, kind of a trophy of sorts I guess.......

dabster

Established Member
did you buy an sct tuner and get tuned right away with the longtube install? I read it runs rich without a tune....

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
For awhile they were making LTs for the C5/C5Z, most of the guys that bought them seemed happy with the LTs, fitment could be hit or miss though. There is nothing wrong with saving a buck, would be prepared for a little fab work though.

Voltwings

Established Member
I have a few things to say on this...
1. I've installed OBX parts on a few friends cars by now, namely headers. One was on a V6 tiburon, which i swear whoever made the Jig for these headers was cracked out of their mind... The things were not even CLOSE to fitting. I also installed a set of OBX headers on a 2.4L N/a Lancer ralliart and considering its just one piece, you'd think it'd bekinda hard to **** that up lol.

That being said, long tubes are not magic, its a very precise science involved in making power with them, ask anyone who has installed them without a retune and has lost power... Headers make power through a principle called Exhaust gas reversion, which is why you hear some headers referred to as "tuned length." Simply having a "larger, freer-flowing" path for the exhaust gas to travel does not equate to more power. I would not expect an Ebay company like OBX to have put the proper R&D into a proper set of headers, nor would i want to deal with the hassle of installing their crap. Again, all of that is first hand experience with their products, NOT word of mouth.

Last edited:

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
1. I've installed OBX parts on a few friends cars by now, namely headers. One was on a V6 tiburon, which i swear whoever made the Jig for these headers was cracked out of their mind... The things were not even CLOSE to fitting. I also installed a set of OBX headers on a 2.4L N/a Lancer ralliart and considering its just one piece, you'd think it'd bekinda hard to **** that up lol.

That being said, long tubes are not magic, its a very precise science involved in making power with them, ask anyone who has installed them without a retune and has lost power... Headers make power through a principle called Exhaust gas reversion, which is why you hear some headers referred to as "tuned length." Simply having a "larger, freer-flowing" path for the exhaust gas to travel does not equate to more power. I would not expect an Ebay company like OBX to have put the proper R&D into a proper set of headers, nor would i want to deal with the hassle of installing their crap. Again, all of that is first hand experience with their products, NOT word of mouth.

Waaaaaaaaay to much truth to this. You're gonna hurt these guys feelings if you speak such.:lol1:

I don't always drive my car

1396922455_zps28124335.jpg

But when I do, it won't have crappy headers on it!:D

dabster

Established Member

They just copy other companies parts...not really any r&d required in that. Thank for your input.

Hurting feelings?......lol I'm asking people opinions...why would them giving it to me hurt my feelings? If it's everyones general decision that they're shit then I probably won't get them. Won't think twice about it either. Please continue with the feeling hurting if it means more opinions from people who've actually used these.

Last edited:

mjohns930

Established Member
I don't think I could take the risk going cheap on something that requires the effort that headers do on these cars. If I were to do headers, I think I would go with Pypes. There are a lot of people running them with good results and compared to some other brands they aren't priced too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread