Pup a white smoke at start up

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
my cobra been sit for a long time . Rarely drive it . If it get drive . It just 15-20 min local drive . Also last time I gas it up was 4-5 month ago . Anyway I went out and start the car move to another spot and shut it down . Couple hours later , went back and start it up . It pup a big white smoke for 2 sec then it stop . It’s was a little cool out side . Old gas ? Coolant is full

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Condensation in the exhaust building up maybe? Or maybe the head gaskets are starting to let go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd say condensation in the exhaust. Especially with the short run times. Take it out and let it get warm. When was the last time you changed the oil?

rymax101

Established Member
Sounds exactly like valve stem seals. Cheap to buy replacements. I recently did mine, not a bad job but shops want top dollar for their time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
A year and 2 month . Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filter under 200 miles on oil .
I'd say condensation in the exhaust. Especially with the short run times. Take it out and let it get warm. When was the last time you changed the oil?

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
I just went out , pull the car cover off and start the car . Little cool out side . I stay and watch the steam smoke from normal start to time my engine fan kick it . Around 10 min idle . At 15 min idle . There is zero steam coming out exhaust . I guess it’s just a lot condensation build up in the exhaust and I need take it on the highway and doing couple pull .

My friend told me to add some high octain booster and doing couple hard pull to clean all that stuff from engine for let it sat too long, he say it will be some white smoke on first hard pull . That just stuff from engine for let it sat too long .

Mabe another day , for now the cover back on . I might need change the oil and put some fresh gas in it

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I would not do any hard pulls with old gas in it, even with octane booster. Get the old gas out (or burn it with easy driving), put some fresh gas in it and then do your hard pulls.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
My opinion....just tossing in a can of junky octane booster and flogging on the car is horrible advice. There's a high likelihood 5 month old E10 gas is bad by now, there is no fixing it. Sounds like the last fill up was early summer.....that's a loooong time for gas to sit thru a hot n humid Houston summer.

Drain the tank, new gas, new plugs, new fuel filter, oil change....then see how she runs "cautiously". Get a datalogger on the car. If it's still smoking, something more serious is probably wrong. Could be the valve stem seals as rymax mentioned. Probably not a bad idea to get a compression test.

Good luck

cj428mach

Established Member
Sounds exactly like valve stem seals. Cheap to buy replacements. I recently did mine, not a bad job but shops want top dollar for their time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Its not a fun job. The rear ones are almost impossible.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
lol
Haven’t even started mine in 6 months or so. Gonna pull it out this weekend and wash it. It’s filthy.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Don’t worry about it, it’s common. I have a 30k mile car and it does it randomly. No rhyme or reason. My 01 did it my 03 does it, hell my pops 8k mile gt500 does it once in awhile.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Engine and drivetrain need to be brought up to full temperature each time you start the car , or you will shorten the life .
How long it takes is dependant on many factors.
I dont drive my car less than 30 miles , as that is how far it is to town .
Just because the e gine has reached temperature , say while idling , the exhaust can quite possibly still not be hot enough to burn off the condensation in that system , and it will eventually damage the exhaust system .

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
My honda lawn mower smokes on start up for a while with 5 month old gas....get some fresh gas no smoke at all.

No big gamble, the good news is if it does end up being the phase separated fuel in that tank, and the twin screwed 18psi motor implodes trying to run that tank out WOT....there's plenty of threads and advice here about rebuilds.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
When the valve guide seals go and the car sits for a while oil drips down into combustion chamber = start up smoking. colored blue smoke goes away after a minute.

White smoke is probably condensation. Get new gas before you go wot

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You can drain the gas or just stay out of boost until you refill with fresh stuff.

My car is now stored for the winter, could be 5-6 months before I take it out. I'll use up the gas, but drive normal, zero boost.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
What does it smell like? Oil? Gas? Steam? That's the biggest hint. Could be all 3 or just condensation. Sounds like you need to go for a drive and empty the tank. Besides, a nice drive is good for the sole

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
More like steam . Car tune to run a little rich also if that made a different

Users who are viewing this thread